Closer/smoother shave with adjustables?

Morning, fellas.

So far I've been shaving with a Merkur HD 34C (my 'first' DE purchase), and from what I know it seems to be giving me a reasonably good shave. However, I've not been too successful in obtaining a smooth neck area (as yet) which, unlike my face, needs more attention. So, I was wondering if an adjustable might do a better job of reducing those stubborn lil neck hairs, and if so which model?

BTW, I've tried shaving against the grain on my neck on the second pass, but it burns like hellfire and leaves me looking like I've just stepped out of a really bad acupuncture session.

Regards, Nape

As regards the neck worries I would make sure you have prepped really well. Lots of hot water, either in the shower or using a hot face cloth pressed against your neck for a couple of minutes. But you may be doing this already!

Regarding adjustables, I owned a Futur for some time having quickly set it to the middle setting and then left it at that. For me there were so many variables to a shave I wanted to cut out as many as possible. Now I have a fixed head razor that does just fine. I have got used to it and how it handles different parts of my face so don't feel the need to change.

:shave

Naked Ape said:
BTW, I've tried shaving against the grain on my neck on the second pass, but it burns like hellfire and leaves me looking like I've just stepped out of a really bad acupuncture session.

Regards, Nape

Do you remove enough with the first pass to have a crack against the grain on the second one? It might be worth "backing off" a bit - try going for a good, rather than great, shave all the time. Over time, your technique will improve and you can then start to go for the billiard ball smooth shaves.

Vic
I cannot get BBS on my neck, well I can, but the discomfort isn't worth it. I get ingrowing hairs and a rash. The best I can manage is XTG, the whiskers are still visible as they are thick on my neck area. Mind you I have to shave up to my eye sockets and that definitely tends to concentrate the mind. :roll:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Thought I'd posted a reply, but must of deleted it or something or nothing.

My prep's okay, I think: lots of hot water plus a mild soap/facewash, followed by a gob of Proraso pre-shave cream or some KOS shave oil, then lots of "lathery goodness".

As for pressure, I've been learning to wield my Merkur lightly and at the right angle. However, Vic is on the money when he says not to go for the perfect shave every time - that's exactly what I've been doing. I think that's down to watching Charles Roberts going for the ultra-smooth, billard-ball finish with his Method Shaving technique (as entertaining as his online demo was, I found him a bit creepy. Come on, "follicular mass"?).

BTW, Rangers: your beard line goes up that far?! That's verging on Planet of the Apes territory! :lol:

Cheers - Nape

The neck is my problem area too, as mentioned don't over do it and try to map the direction of beard growth . I found by doing this and avoiding shaving against the grain on my neck especially around the collar line gave me much improved results.

To answer your'e question I can get closer shaves with my vintage adjustable's by being able to dial them right down, with the right blade I find it is the easiest way of shaving against the grain without much irritation but I rarely bother now.

Naked Ape said:
I think that's down to watching Charles Roberts going for the ultra-smooth, billard-ball finish with his Method Shaving technique (as entertaining as his online demo was, I found him a bit creepy. Come on, "follicular mass"?).

I've read some of Charles Roberts' ravings. In my opinion he should be certified. Talk about a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

Don't worry about getting a smoother than glass face after shaving.

This seems to me to be a fairly modern, meterosexual goal which is being pursued by a load of man-bag carrying, in touch with their feminine side American posters on some of the other shaving forums.

Just aim for 'presentable' with as little irritation as possible.

Hot water. Use abundantly. I struggle with my neck and have tried different techniques and blades, razors etc. Lots and lots of hot water is the key. After hot water I would suggest maybe a sharper blade. What blade are you using incidently.
Try doing two passes with the grain and only go against maybe 2/3 times a week to give your neck some recovery time. No pressure.
Its taken me many months to work out how to do my neck. Its only recently that I can shave my neck without blood loss.
A totally smooth neck should not be your goal every day.
PS The razor you are using is perfectly fine. Its just a question of learning how to use it most effectively.

The best razor for getting my neck area completely smooth is without question a Futur. This isn't due to its adjustability, but simply because it weighs so much.
A Futur has a certain learning curve (no beginners razor!), so at first you turn your neck into raw steak before things start clearing up. After that, it cuts the neck hairs closer than anything else.

The Futur is a ruthless efficient tool, but has one big drawback IMO: its weight and bulkiness prevent me from feeling the contours of my face, making the overall shave a less pleasant experience. It puts just too much steel between my hand, the blade and my cheeks. That's why I prefer a precision instrument like my fixed head Mühle.

I thinks Joe has come up with the perfect BBS replacement S.T.G....smoother than glass.

What's wrong with a man bag??? I use to carry all my make-up.

I agree with the rest of his rant though. ;)

closer with an adjustable ...mmm

well, when i shave WTG on my neck it isn't as close as a WTG pass anywhere else on my face so if i decide to go ATG with any of my adjustables i actually dial down - make it a milder cut if you like

i don't do it that often as i can be sensitive in that area but with the right prep and lather it works.

Back
Top Bottom