Clip razors/ clippers really worse than shaving with straight or double ?

Well, after trying like everything, normal razors, double-edge safety razors, straight razors, I must say that electric clip razors ( the ones you usually use to cut your hear off in the army ) are kind of an " allrounder ".

I am shaving my head and also my beard off using an electric razor and to me it has 3 benefits. 1. It all goes much faster. 2. It is much better for my skin. 3. It still gives you a " manly " look since some stubbles usually stay.

So the point I am trying to make is, why not always using an electric clip razor ? I know that it is not as 100% clean shaven like when using a straight razor or a double-edge razor, but it safes a hell of a lot money if you count it all down on like 1 years. A cheap electric razor costs you probably between 14 £ - 25 £ but getting new blades, shaving cream, aftershave and/or several creams using a for example double edge razor costs you definitely more than 25 £ a year ! Now imagine using a straight-razor, you will probably lose even more money buying the honing stone and the leather-strop + maybe sending it for professional honing some rare times.
So in total, I think buying an electric razor just costs you ONCE and that's it. No aftershave, no shaving cream, no honing, no whatever is needed. You just plug it in and use it. And if after like 4-5 years of use, your electric razor seems to not cut as good anymore, you can easily order in new blades from the company you bought it from for like 20-30 £ or less.

What do you guys think about it ? I am seriously think about to stop using double-edge safety-razors and settle over to electric razors instead. Less of the costs, but because of saving time and effort. Saving money is just a positive side-effect.

Cheers Leko.

Neither my supervisors nor myself would have appreciated shaving to have left myself with a " manly bit of stubble " . In fact, I shave to remove the stubble. ( shades of Vinny, I feel I am ridiculously manly with or without stubble ! ). For me shaving with an electric razor just mashes up the beard growth and my skin flares up in irritated patches. But, like anything in shaving, what works for you wirks for you. Go with what suits you best and enjoy.

JohnnyO. o/

Neither my supervisors nor myself would have appreciated shaving to have left myself with a " manly bit of stubble " . In fact, I shave to remove the stubble. ( shades of Vinny, I feel I am ridiculously manly with or without stubble ! ). For me shaving with an electric razor just mashes up the beard growth and my skin flares up in irritated patches. But, like anything in shaving, what works for you wirks for you. Go with what suits you best and enjoy.

JohnnyO. o/

Hehe, well I get you. But what I meant with " manly stubble " was mostly referring to like 90% of the women who prefer men with a bit of a beard or stubbles. I've only met one woman who liked totally clean shaven on a man so far, and the stubbles I am talking about are pretty minimal if you do shave it right. So the difference to a wet shave is not huge !

But as you've said, it's of course everyones taste ! What you like and what you don't like. I am just talking from a style & economical point of view.

electric clip razor:
- safes money
-safes time
- ok shave result
- USUALLY better for your skin
- easy to transport
- pretty easy to clean, if clean is even necessary ( I know people who haven't cleaned their electric razor for like 12 years, and still working fine)
- easy to use, every child can use an electric razor
- doesn't require extra equipment ( brush,aftershave,creams )

Double-edge safety razor:

- shaves clean

So I literally could only give one positive point to the double-edge razor, everything else would be badly lose against the points of an electric razor. A blade-razor like a straight razor, shavette or double-edge safety razor costs more because of the blades or the honing, and also requires extra tools like gels,creams soaps,liquids. And most important, it is not safer and also not easier to learn compared to an electric razor which could be used by every kid without much training.

My conclusion is. If you seriously need a 100% clean shave, and you don't want to have any hair in your face, use wet razors, if you don't care about a few stubbles or even don't care about shaving everyday for like 1 minute, then go for the electric razor.

In total, the electric razors wins the comparison.

Totally off the point I appreciate, but you know not just one person, but people, who haven't cleaned their razor in 12 years ? Wow ! Couldn't be doing with that lack of maintenance and personal hygene, but to each their own.

JohnnyO. o/

The difference to a wet shave isn't huge.
I see a flaw in your thinking.

The difference of the RESULT is not huge.

Yes there is a difference, but if you properly shave using an electric razor, then you have only a little bit worse result than with a wet shave.

But thats not the main thing.

Totally off the point I appreciate, but you know not just one person, but people, who haven't cleaned their razor in 12 years ? Wow ! Couldn't be doing with that lack of maintenance and personal hygene, but to each their own.

JohnnyO. o/
I agree. Was because of lack of time.

IMG_20160112_111233054-01_zpst027c4l1.jpeg

I shave to enjoy myself. I keep a close cropped goatee, and use manual trimmers to do it. I also keep my sideburns closely trimmed as well.

It might take a little longer than using electric clippers, but it adds immensely to the overall experience of doing things the 'old fashioned' way. Plus they still work when the power is out, also major plus for camping.

Bloody hell JohnnyO - you're taking me back now. When I was a young lad doing night school, my bus home on a Thursday was always packed with women going to a very popular pub right next to Villa Park - I know exactly how those women in Cologne felt on New Year's eve. I had to sit with my legs clamped and brief case strategically placed.

I used to work as a small appliance engineer way back ............. And Philips electric razors were one of the item we had on our repair lists; quite a lot of them, in fact.

I can categorically state that any razor that hasn't been cleaned and serviced in 12 years will be in a disgraceful state......... And will be the reason someone like me will only take it out of a customers hand while wearing surgical gloves :D

Well, all that counts to me is the RESULT. If I look good after shaving with an electric razor, I do so..... simply because it doesn't cost as much time as a wet shave.

Back
Top Bottom