Cleaning a DE razor

Have read about different cleaning methods. Stuck my Merkur in the dishwasher and it looked like new. Have I overlooked something about what a dishwasher can do to a razor like this? What do other people do to keep their razors clean.

Arent dishwashers great.

although whilst putting my modern razors in seems like a good idea, i wouldnt run a vintage through it.

I find a toothbrush and a few ultrasonic baths work well on any vintage stuff i get.

Fido said:
Have read about different cleaning methods. Stuck my Merkur in the dishwasher and it looked like new. Have I overlooked something about what a dishwasher can do to a razor like this? What do other people do to keep their razors clean.
As I said in another place - I'd be wary of doing this given the harshness of dishwasher detergents and the relative reactivity of zamak (of which Merkurs are made) - it won't be the nickel-plated parts that suffer but the hidden parts where the detergent-laden water might sit unnoticed.

Just thinking a bit more though - should be no issue running it through a wash cycle with no detergent - apart from rabid ecomentalists knocking your door down to demand you cut your water usage and electricity usage.

Anyway - what I tend to do is give it a good wipe over with the towel and periodically drop it in the ultrasonic cleaner in a 50:50 mix of white vinegar and hot (80C water) for 5-6 mins.

I have a few cleaning methods-
1 every day- I dry clean my razors with a piece of dry kitcken paper (usually while on the loo, sorry!) like buffing off car polish. Works fine.
2 Hot water and fairy plus nail brush,works well.
3 Cilit Bang works great but I make sure I wash it off well as it is acid based

C

Top Bottom