Chubby....really worth it?

Simpson's Chubby...does the hype have a solid foundation? Is it just clever marketing and do forums like ours propagate the notion that Simpsons Chubby brushes are the best of all?
Or is it all a load of BS...after all they don't have a Silver Tip as far as I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong)...does that matter?

I like a brush with a dense pack of soft bristles...would you recommend a Chubby?

It's all in the eye of the beholder. Some people like dense brushes with lots of backbone; others, such as I, don't appreciate overly dense brushes with lots of backbone. The Chubby is not my favourite brush, nor is it a brush I don't like, but I find it unbalanced in terms of size, density and backbone. I think the Duke is a more balanced brush, but many would disagree; I believe Alexander Simpson preferred the Duke. You have to decide for yourself what makes an ideal brush (for you).

I agree with Rufus, however if you like dense brushes then there's not many that are denser. Regarding the silvertip option, Super is the softest standard hair and while there's a lot of variation in Simpsons hair it's generally regarded as soft as others silvertip.

I agree with Rufus, however if you like dense brushes then there's not many that are denser. Regarding the silvertip option, Super is the softest standard hair and while there's a lot of variation in Simpsons hair it's generally regarded as soft as others silvertip.

Interesting point p.b. I tend to go for silver tip but I've been looking for something a little denser and maybe a little less soft for use with harder soaps. I'll spread out the net and look at other options.
Thanks all!

The thing which should never be omitted with Simpsons brushes is how well (comparatively) they hold value after purchase.

In case you ever want to pass it on, it is like owning a Rolex in the world of watches.
It's a Simpsons brush, not just any brush. It's supposed to last you 30 years or more, with proper care.

Just something to keep in mind.

DSC_0320_zps7bps7v7g.jpg

Chubby Design Shaving Brushes are Nothing New..I Got this Vintage NOS French Fitchard Chubby Badger for £4.00 & its a Corker..Plenty of Backbone & Density..Softer than a Modern Silver Tip an All..:)

Billy

I am a Simpson fan, so my opinion is pretty much bent in their favour in general brush discussions. However this post is in response to the Chubby v Duke debate. I have a Chubby 1 and a Duke 3 both in BB. Both have enough backbone for whatever software you chuck at them, while both feel soft on the face. I do get the point of view of Bryan (@Rufus), that the Duke feels a very well balanced brush and to me is pretty good value.

I do like a bit of Chubby action though.;)

Love them. If you're debating it, you'll only satisfy it by trying one. I agree though the Duke 3 in best is a ridiculously good brush and a bit cheaper (£84.99 from us to be exact).

FWIW Simpsons "super" is favourably comparable to most top end silvertips, not as soft as the softest tips but nice backbone. Don't get too caught up on terminology, no £12 chinese ebay silvertip trumps a simpsons super knot

Back
Top Bottom