Cheap Shave Mug / Bowl

If any of you guys want a cheap Shave Mug /Bowl
[attachment=0]
Asda are selling these Mugs for £1.00, simple and cheap but does the job, and doesn't
look out of place in a Bathroom....well i don't think so anyway ;)

Steve

Pete said:
Steve, I don't use a mug so much anymore but have one of these and they are superb. I think Tesco do something similar. Nice one.

Pete

Yeah used mine this morning, does the job well, i bought three, at that price as i am a little clumsy :oops: and no doubt with break one :)

Steve

And here I am, waiting for my Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle! But then I'm really after a PhD in the Facial hair removal course at Cambridge you know. Must get one of these Asda specials and post a comparative review of both.Wonder which is better value....

That is a real bargain, I have a Dirty Bird brush scuttle and also an Edwin Jagger mug my wife bought me. I use the DB just about every day because I am addicted to warm lather and brush. Sometimes I use the EJ mug for lathering up if using a cream but even then when lather is made the bush goes in the scuttle to heat while I am rinsing my face. Some people feel it is just another piece of kit to clean and dry but I personally I feel it is worth the effort.

The main difference in just making lather is that the EJ mug and the DB bowl (not shown in my avatar) both have a pattern in the bottom which helps agitation where the mug is smooth (I assume). Other than that pound for pound the mug wins hands down.

I am trying not to evangelise about it too much because everyone finds their own method that suits them and I admit I am a DB fanboy, but I would be very interested in your honest opinion on comparison of the two.

What I am always on the lookout for is one of those double-walled "keep your dip chilled at the table" contrivances.
It seems to me they might make an excellent "keep you brush & lather warm" thingy - at a fraction of the cost.
Sorry - I hope to have made myself understood!

SirPrize said:
What I am always on the lookout for is one of those double-walled "keep your dip chilled at the table" contrivances.
It seems to me they might make an excellent "keep you brush & lather warm" thingy - at a fraction of the cost.
Sorry - I hope to have made myself understood!

Perfectly intelligible, Sir. One of these might fit the bill:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20113529">http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20113529</a><!-- m -->

Nothing I enjoy more than a bit of research. I actually ordered and paid for a double size Dirtybird scuttle and matching soap/lather bowl and a shaving mug. I did not order the brush scuttle. I will try these things out and post my own reviews. But I will probably also get the Asda and Ikea items for a bit of fun to compare results. Julie at Dirtybird has actually sent me a 1.5 scuttle in error. I have agreed to try it. If I still want the double she will send it and will not ask me to return the 1.5. We shall see! When I have finished all my trials I will use the item that gives me the most pleasure and the rest will no doubt come in useful for something. I'll probably end up face lathering in the end but at least I will have tried all the options and had some fun on the way.

Another bowl I've used is a stainless steel pet food bowl like this.

zw690_f.jpg

It can float in a basin of hot water and has great heat transfer. £1.78 from Asda.

Pete

Excellent response Arrowhead - but what I meant was one of those things that restaurants use to keep caviare chilled at the table - a two-bowl set, one of which fits inside the other leaving enough room for crushed ice.
It just seemed to me that one of these filled with hot water could serve to keep a face-latherers brush warm between passes.
Perhaps I had better research Catering Suppliers.

I don't have a Dirty Bird but I've been using an old mortar instead, if you can getting enough heat into the thick walls it works pretty well especially if it is stone rather than clay. It actually retains heat much better than the thin walled scuttle I have.

antdad said:
I don't have a Dirty Bird but I've been using an old mortar instead, if you can getting enough heat into the thick walls it works pretty well especially if it is stone rather than clay. It actually retains heat much better than the thin walled scuttle I have.

Wish i had a Dirty Bird !! :oops: :lol: she used to be........

sunburyboy93 said:
antdad said:
:lol: :lol: Wish i had a Dirty Bird !! :oops: she used to be........

Take it from one much older Sunbury...they ALL used to be.

Lets get bak to topic or we'll get a slap!

BS

:lol:

SirPrize said:
... what I meant was one of those things that restaurants use to keep caviare chilled at the table - a two-bowl set, one of which fits inside the other leaving enough room for crushed ice.
It just seemed to me that one of these filled with hot water could serve to keep a face-latherers brush warm between passes.
Perhaps I had better research Catering Suppliers.

Whoops. I'm not very familiar with caviar, but I am a notorious skinflint, so perhaps you could improvise something from this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.valuezone.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=44">http://www.valuezone.co.uk/product_info ... ucts_id=44</a><!-- m -->

or something similar. Presumably you'd need to prevent the inner bowl from floating, which could probably be done easily enough with a blob of silicone, or even araldite. I'm halfway to selling this idea to myself, actually.

Popped in to Asda and Ikea today. Picked up a couple of bowls shown above, got another in IKEA and compared them with the one I've using. Bear in mind that I have ordered a Dirty Bird double size scuttle and a small lather/soap bowl.
From left to right we have two bowls from IKEA (£1.99 and £1.49) An Asda mug (£2 in Southampton) and mine (20p Lymington junk shop) The Dirty Birds were £75 including shipping. Will review them when they arrive.
Measurements, left to right are width of inside of bowl at top in inches: 6. 5.5, 4, 4.5. Height: 3, 2.25. 3. 2.25.

It's all down to personal preference. I don't like the shape of my bowl. It's a bit of a right angle at the bottom and I always feel I'm hitting the sides.
The Ikea on the left is simply too big for me. The nice rounded shape is a pleasure to use and I don't hit the side of the bowl with the brush which I find irritating.
The Asda mug doesn't work for me. I find it too small and the depth and shape means I'm always knocking the brush against the sides.
The other Ikea is really good to use. The shape works well. It's not too deep and there is no need to keep hitting the sides.
None of this takes account of the possibility of producing warm lather. I suppose any of the bowls could be stood in a bowl of hot water.

That's where the Dirty Bird scuttle comes in. Used in the right way it keeps the lather warm which is claimed by some to be a real pleasure. I don't yet know if II will find the scuttle comfortable to use bearing in mind its size and shape. I will post a review when it turns up. Meanwhile, as from tomorrow, it's an Ikea at £1.49 for me.
Strikes me that like just about everything else we talk about here its down to personal preferences depending on all our quirky likes and dislikes. Like life in general I suppose.

Attachments

• DSC_1274.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 62
  • DSC_1275.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 62
  • DSC_1276.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom