Cartridge Review

There have been a couple of threads lately talking about which cartridge razor is best should we need to take "hand luggage only"

Anyway this got me really panicked. What if I have to one day take a cartridge with me. Don't ask me why but the thought of using a Gillette again got me in a cold sweat.

So I have decided in the next few weeks to try a few different ones and write up a few reviews.

I have a few bits of criteria though I must follow.

1. Unless I already own one I must think "outside the main 2" so no Gillette and Wilkinson Sword (I do own a couple of sensors and machs)

2. No more than 3 blades, was going to say 2 but having a quick look online I think 3 would give me a better choice.

3. No more than 2 days growth for each shave.

4. Using Arko Commando shaving cream, Burlington shaving brush, post shave with alum, witch hazel and Arko Commando balm.

I would also like some ideas from you guys about which ones to try.

Remember though nothing too expensive as most of these may end up in the bin.

okay just a quick update.

Was going to write a full review on each of these in the review section but I have had second thoughts mainly as I dont wanna clog the review section up with cartridge razors + lifes too short to do full write up on cartridges.

Heres a quick summary on what I have tried so far.

0296503_l.jpg

Firstly Wilkinsons (the shop) own brand blades.

6/10

They fit on the contour handle, which was handy.
The shave felt a bit slimy, think that was to do with the strip more than anything. It cam out as a DFS but I think that was more to do with the prep and soap, wouldnt wanna have a go on these just using foam out of a can.

Overall they were fine and for a £1 for 10 blades better value than the rubbish from the pound shops.

Next up was this.

Boots own twin blade system

Quite excited to use it as all the reviews had raved on about it just being a re-badged contour.

7/10

Very nice blade. Smooth to use on the first pass. Yet again though the second pass started feeling a bit slimey on the second pass. Gave a DFS.

Would use again and worth the extra couple of quid compared to the Wilko Blade.
Cant see the twin blades on their own on the Boots website though, just the 3 blade (which I haven't tried yet), so maybe they arent doing it anymore?

618%5C3014260207618%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

I know I said I was gonna keep away the big two but really we cant can we, not without a lot of extra effort any way.

Gillette Contour Plus

8/10

Very good. Why Gillette felt they needed to improve on this blade, lord only knows. (Well it was for marketing really)

Gave a very nice shave, no dragging or slimyness like the others. A DFS no problems.

Value wise at about 90p a cart its not the cheapest but for infrequent use while away its better value than the other rip offs out there.

473861.jpg

Tesco triple blade system

7.5/10

Very good. At an incredible price of £1.89 for 5 blades and handle one wonders just how much money Gillette are ripping us for.

This Mach 3 clone gave a DFS and the aloe strip didnt gunk up like some of the others. Would use and buy again.

Gonna try a few others as I have nothing to lose (generally give the blades to dad after as he still uses a cartridge) and am enjoying the fact that for the razors I am trying NOT ONE has yet given me a shave that even compares to how a shave I get from a cheap Boots DE razor and a cheap Dorco blade, lol.

try these bob
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uffvu0aztAA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Gillette-Guard-Razor-With-Blade-16-Blades-Great-Shaving-Experience-/181201239617?pt=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item2a306f7e41#ht_1492wt_818

probably the best i've tried
BiC Metal are ok but i've found suffer from QC problems

786%5C5052003785786%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Tesco Twin Blade

All I can say is these have been discontinued and thank Christ they have.

Have had these sitting in my razor bag for over a year and thought I would give one a try

Slimey as hell when shaving. Couldn't work out if they were shaving me as it was so flipping slimey. Ended up going over loads of the same bits giving me probably the worst feeling after a shave I have had in ages.

They don't tug or anything but just feel like you have covered your face in oil.

3.5/10

I've had my first cartridge shave in months this week - was a Gillette Sensor 3 blade disposable - and it was a great shave. I'm not switching back to them full time, but I consistently find that these chaps give a great shave when I'm running late. They cost about £5 for 4 so definitely not the cheapest, but a good option nonetheless.

Yea was considering the Feather, just the price of the damn blades, over a pound each!!

Trying to find a cartridge with value. The Conotour I reviewed is pricey too but I managed to nab 10 blades for a fiver at a local chemist. The box was old and so was the price sticker, bet they hadnt changed it in ten years.

By the way if anyone wants to know how much cartridges cost about 20 years ago read here http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tried--tested--for-barefaced-cheeks-which-razor-is-the-smoothest-and-safest-our-panel-take-on-the-stubbleshooters-1504333.html

Funny how the DE has stayed about the same price but the carts have trebled

Excellent Bob, are you going to try the G.Guard or FEATHER FII ? Interesting article well done.

http://connaughtshaving.com/fiineo1.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-GENUINE-MENS-GILLETTE-GUARD-REFILLABLE-SHAVING-RAZOR-1-BLADE-CARTRIDGES-/221355570365?pt=Shaving&var=&hash=item3389d1f4bd

Received these Feather F11 twin blades and toy like handle from Thailand. I am going on my 4th shave in the morning and challenge you to find a better cartridge. That is how good they are. Smooth as silk and apparently Feather like sharpness. I don't know if an Atra duel cartridge will fit this cheap handle but will find out very shortly.

Attachments

• Feather F2.JPG
    Feather F2.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom