British soaps

I prefer Italian croaps, Wickhams is nice tho, I bought a puck of Kent soap because I read it was rebranded MWF...it too is very good. Wayyy too many great products out there.

Phoenix and Beau
Wickhams 1912
Cyril R Salter
Castle Forbes
Mitchell's Wool Fat
The Executive Shaving Company
The Traditional Shaving Company
Edwin Jagger
Arran
Signature Soaps
Truefitt & Hill
Geo F Trumper
TOBS
D R Harris
Creightons
OSP (no longer made but still available in places)
London Oatcake
Alexander Simpson
Gentlemens Face Care Club
Nanny's Silly Soap

A number of other artisan soap makers also make a shaving soap but these can vary wildly in quality.

Phoenix and Beau
Wickhams 1912
Cyril R Salter
Castle Forbes
Mitchell's Wool Fat
The Executive Shaving Company
The Traditional Shaving Company
Edwin Jagger
Arran
Signature Soaps
Truefitt & Hill
Geo F Trumper
TOBS
D R Harris
Creightons
OSP (no longer made but still available in places)
London Oatcake
Alexander Simpson
Gentlemens Face Care Club
Nanny's Silly Soap

A number of other artisan soap makers also make a shaving soap but these can vary wildly in quality.
I didn't realise we made so many soaps here in the UK, spoilt for choice and all on our doorstep! :) P.

The only British soap that has performed reasonably well (and I've tried the most) was the Mitchell's Wool Fat.
All the CFs, Taylor's, T&Hs etc have fantastic scents - really some of the very best out there. But performance wise they just suck compared to any French, German and Italian counterparts.
Maybe you have a tougher skin than mine and it'll be just fine for you though. For me it wasn't.

The only British soap that has performed reasonably well (and I've tried the most) was the Mitchell's Wool Fat.
All the CFs, Taylor's, T&Hs etc have fantastic scents - really some of the very best out there. But performance wise they just suck compared to any French, German and Italian counterparts.
Maybe you have a tougher skin than mine and it'll be just fine for you though. For me it wasn't.
While I would agree that someof the UK's 'Big Brands' are disappointing, the same cannot be said for small-business, artisanal soaps, many of which are in world top 10% performers. I agree that the top 1% can be found mainly in Italy and France but I can't agree that the comparison would show that UK soaps 'just suck'.

While I would agree that someof the UK's 'Big Brands' are disappointing, the same cannot be said for small-business, artisanal soaps, many of which are in world top 10% performers. I agree that the top 1% can be found mainly in Italy and France but I can't agree that the comparison would show that UK soaps 'just suck'.
Quite possibly, but since quality tends to fluctuate with those and they aren't really mass produced I wasn't referring to them for a reliable comparison. E.g. one of the Nanny's soaps I've tried was absolutely superb, however others weren't at all (again, this was 5 years ago, things could've changed).

Speaking personally, I now go almost exclusively for UK "artisanal" soaps from Wickhams, P&B, Nanny's and the erstwhile OSP. I have been using their products since they each started making them, and I can't fault any on quality, effectiveness, price and consistency. To be fair, on the last point I haven't got through enough product to be able to compare, say, an aluminium tin of Nanny's Arabian Nights from a few years ago, with the same soap in the now-plastic tub. However, when I have bought a new "flavour", it's been as good as others I've had, with the bonus of being different.

However, I do wish that a UK soap maker would produce a really good and strong tobacco soap (NOT like Tabac), as I have to buy Italian or American to get what I want.

Back
Top Bottom