Bowl or face

I bowl lathered for several years and used to think people banging on about face lathering needed to get out more.

However since I tried it again a few months ago (and put some effort in) I have only bowl lathered a handful of times :eek: :)

I bowl lather. I do this to ensure that I get a good consistency of lather for each shave. I also find that I get less irritation and ingrown hairs when I just paint the lather on, as opposed to scrubbing my face to lather up. YMMV.

My face doesn't take too well to scrubbing anything against it. This is why I will use a gentle face wash as opposed to an abrasive one like a scrub / exfoliating wash. I also get less irritation painting lather on. Because I don't really scrub the lather on, terms like ‘splay' and to a degree ‘backbone' are lost on me. But yes, I too like to make lather in a bowl, and to apply it gently with nice soft brush tips.

Just try it, use any old bowl, you've nothing to lose, and if you like it, get yourself a nice handmade bowl when you feel like it

I'm new to all this brush malarkey, and I find I get a nicer (was going to say better, but at my level it's all rather subjective) lather texture in the bowl, but when I face lather I get a fantastic fragrance hit. Using the soaps and creams I have managed to accrue so far, there doesn't seem to be an appreciable difference in the end result between face and bowl. So I just do what I feel like in the moment and enjoy the process.

Last edited:
I face lather every work day morning with an Arko stick. I get the absolute best lather (which is amazing) when I face lather that soap.

Everything else on the weekends, I use a bowl and a soap in puck form. For some reason I get the best soap from pucks when I bowl lather them. I'll soon force myself to learn face lathering with a "normal" soap, so I can rotate them in on work days.

This is with a synthetic Tuxedo knot.

I face lather for straight shaving - find it necessary for a good shave.

For safety razors I mix it up, depending on the brush / cream combination I decide upon. I have a nice scuttle with a reservoir for hot water. It's great to use for bowl lathering.

Face lather. Easier when travelling, faster, and for me, a perfect lather in the bowl can change when painted on the face, meaning another few mins of messing around getting it perfect again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Once I 've worked up a lather in a bowl then I'll apply and work in to my face. Not quite got the hang of this face lathering so I'll stick to what I'm happy with.

Even in a bowl I still struggle to reduce all the product in the case of croaps. I always remain having a small amount which refuses to wave the white flag in the face of the water. Often think, 'could you actually face lather with this stuff?'

in-your-face-13844958.png

I've sent for a bowl from Giles shaving. I'm going to give it ago if you don't try you won't know I suppose. I'm down to the one razor now so I can spoil myself I think.

Back
Top Bottom