Bow Ties. Yes or No?

I have my first black tie event for a little while comming up, and have got quite into bow ties. What do you all think of them? My wife doesn't approve; black at a black tie event is about it. I think they look pretty cool, and smart in a casual kind of way...

Any other fans here? Bought a few nice examples this week..

I own a few bow ties. They are pre tied, I can't be bothered faffing around trying to tie one.

I love them, I often wear one while shopping at the weekend.

If I liked ties at all then a loosely tied bow would definitely appeal. Just that touch of amiable, individual eccentricity ( or self expression if you prefer ). If you fancy it then go for it.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/[/b]

For me, I only wear a bow tie with my dinner jacket. My father, however, loved to wear bow ties any time he wore a suit and they suited him. I think some people have a face and demeanour for wearing a bow tie successfully, but I'm not one of them; even when I wear black tie I think I look like a waiter and when I wear one with a suit I look like a used car salesman.

tie_illustration_bowti.jpg

Just don't do it too perfect, or folks will think it's a pre-made. First few times, untie when there's an audience, thereafter don't make a big deal ... both look cool :D

I'm an occasional bow tie fan on the rare occasions I wear a shirt and jacket (or cardigan). My father is also a fan to the point of getting my mother to make him some in material he liked. Self tied only.

pjgh said:
Just don't do it too perfect, or folks will think it's a pre-made. First few times, untie when there's an audience, thereafter don't make a big deal ... both look cool :D

Untieing a bow tie before you get home is about as least cool as you can get in my book.

Jon beat me to it, but it occurred to me a few years ago that tying a tie is the same as a shoe lace. The biggest problem is getting it tight enough - that's why you need the adjuster at the side/back after the tie is complete.

Back
Top Bottom