Boar or Synth recommendations for face lathering?

Hey guys,

After recently getting back into DE shaving I've discovered that I prefer face lathering to bowl lathering. I currently use a beautifully soft Vulfix 660s which I'm very happy with but it lacks backbone. I'm considering adding a 2nd brush to my collection with backbone and perhaps a bit of scrub so that I can really feel the effect when face lathering, giving me an alternative option for rotation. Initially I looked at the Semogue SOC boar as I know it comes very highly recommended. It's a bit more than I want to spend ideally and moreover, as I shave closer to weekly than daily it would take me an eternity to break a boar in.

So then I got onto synthetics a bit.....I've looked at such brushes as Yaqi 24mm, Razorock Monster, both look excellent. Also Omega 10066 boar. I wouldn't rule out a 2nd hand boar either as it will be broken in.

As someone that doesn't know a lot about brushes, what I do know is that it appears to be a bit of a minefield!

So I'm looking for recommendations for my needs please. Budget wise I was thinking anything between £8-16 ish but could go higher if there's something ridiculously good that's unanimously recommended.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I should also have mentioned I'm not fussed about a posh handle - much more interested in the feel that the knot gives. Thanks to the 2 very helpful replies so far.

Last edited:
My recommendation...

The Omega breaks in very quickly, not like your typical boar. I would avoid a SOC for this very reason, they do take months (I speak from painful experience!)

Here's mine after a couple of uses:

29894260998_d12e3ccdf9_z.jpg

As for synthetics... I'm not a fan of any of the cheap Chinese one's, they feel like makeup brushes which is fine if you have a baby face but I like a massage.

Hey guys,

After recently getting back into DE shaving I've discovered that I prefer face lathering to bowl lathering. I currently use a beautifully soft Vulfix 660s which I'm very happy with but it lacks backbone. I'm considering adding a 2nd brush to my collection with backbone and perhaps a bit of scrub so that I can really feel the effect when face lathering, giving me an alternative option for rotation. Initially I looked at the Semogue SOC boar as I know it comes very highly recommended. It's a bit more than I want to spend ideally and moreover, as I shave closer to weekly than daily it would take me an eternity to break a boar in.

So then I got onto synthetics a bit.....I've looked at such brushes as Yaqi 24mm, Razorock Monster, both look excellent. Also Omega 10066 boar. I wouldn't rule out a 2nd hand boar either as it will be broken in.

As someone that doesn't know a lot about brushes, what I do know is that it appears to be a bit of a minefield!

So I'm looking for recommendations for my needs please. Budget wise I was thinking anything between £8-16 ish but could go higher if there's something ridiculously good that's unanimously recommended.

Thanks in advance!

Any of the Omega short lofted boar brushes will give you the backbone and scrub that you require. See here for further info https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...s/omega-boar-brush-small-brush-quartet.47016/
The 011829 mentioned above is one of my favourite brushes and gives a sumptuous face feel but not with the backbone of Omega's smaller, short lofted brushes. The Semogue's splay way more than the Omega's and as mentioned take longer to break-in and can be finicky in terms of lather release and flow through.

Remember, synthetic brushes are made to duplicate badger hair. Boar brushes are much less expensive, so there would be no reason to imitate them. Badger brushes are meant be used like a paint brush, with back and forth strokes
as opposed to being ‘splayed' and ‘scrubbed' in a circular motion. As for the quality of Chinese brushes, I've heard
both positive and negative about them. I personally, have never used one but, in my experience, when a product says ‘made in China' on it, it usually is cheaply made, with shoddy craftsmanship. I wouldn't even buy ‘ china' made in China
I'd rather buy Wedgewood.

Any of the Omega short lofted boar brushes will give you the backbone and scrub that you require. See here for further info https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...s/omega-boar-brush-small-brush-quartet.47016/
The 011829 mentioned above is one of my favourite brushes and gives a sumptuous face feel but not with the backbone of Omega's smaller, short lofted brushes. The Semogue's splay way more than the Omega's and as mentioned take longer to break-in and can be finicky in terms of lather release and flow through.

Thanks so much. I'm very grateful to you for explaining the splay difference between Semogue and Omega and also to @Rohleder for the general difference in feel from synths to boar. This is exactly the information I was after - I want the massage feel which appears to lend to boar and also with face lathering and scrub I can only assume it's better to have less splay, lending to Omega over Semogue. You're recommendations are seriously taken on board!

Very happy to receive further advice and recommendations.

Remember, synthetic brushes are made to duplicate badger hair. Boar brushes are much less expensive, so there would be no reason to imitate them. Badger brushes are meant be used like a paint brush, with back and forth strokes
as opposed to being ‘splayed' and ‘scrubbed' in a circular motion.

You see, this is my level of noobness, I didn't know this.

This now means I'm definitely into boar territory as I have a perfectly good badger brush. Thank you.

Thanks so much. I'm very grateful to you for explaining the splay difference between Semogue and Omega and also to @Rohleder for the general difference in feel from synths to boar. This is exactly the information I was after - I want the massage feel which appears to lend to boar and also with face lathering and scrub I can only assume it's better to have less splay, lending to Omega over Semogue. You're recommendations are seriously taken on board!

Very happy to receive further advice and recommendations.

What takes time is determining your own preferences; advice can give you a steer but your own preferences are what counts. Even when you buy an expensive brush and cognitive dissonance tells you it is the best brush in the world your subconscious will want to grab the brush you actually prefer and that may indeed be an inexpensive brush. Luckily boar brushes are relatively cheap. The quickest way of tuning-in on your own preferences is to buy a few. Consider the Omega "baby pro" for backbone and a scrubby massage and a 10066 for something more middle of the road. Both brushes will only cost you about £10 and you will then be able to determine relatively quickly what you prefer in a boar brush in terms of loft, size, backbone, spay etc. Enjoy...

I am in the exact same position looking for my first boar. I'm currently considering either semogue 1305 or 830, I found a really useful chart on badger and blade yesterday but can't find it again!!!

Good luck and I'll be watching this thread closely for suggestions.

I am in the exact same position looking for my first boar. I'm currently considering either semogue 1305 or 830, I found a really useful chart on badger and blade yesterday but can't find it again!!!

Good luck and I'll be watching this thread closely for suggestions.

Ah my mate from Derby. We'll be going for a pint at this rate buddy :LOL:

edit: feel free to PM it through if you find it (as I assume we probably shouldn't link a different forum....?)

That's the key to getting a brush, it's not necessarily about the best brush available, it's about which brush is right for you.
You take what Rohleder said, he's absolutely right. No point in getting a brush with a long break in period if you don't plan
on shaving every day. And Missoni is quite right, a shorter loft, has more backbone, which in turn creates more resistance
to help build proper lather. And as far as Nisse goes, well, (that's) the same boar brush I use for mug lathering!
But, then again I'm half Swedish, so who knows better than us, right?
So, if you get a brush that combines these qualities, (that's) your brush. Oh, and if you notice, none of these fine gents
have a brush with dyed ‘badger bands', (that's) just tacky. Leave the bands to the badgers.
Now, if only everyone got along as well as us wet shavers, the world would be a better place. Either that or we'd all be
yelling at each other to get out of the bathroom!

Of all my brushes I reach for this one for face latherIng most of the time

YaqI Chianti 24mm Synthetic

Available from YaqI on Aliexpress for about £16

Their 24mm Tuxedo is also very good for face latherIng, costs about £13

I don't like boar brushes, and tend not to use badgers these days, as synthetics suit my needs and preference better

Of all my brushes I reach for this one for face latherIng most of the time

YaqI Chianti 24mm Synthetic

Available from YaqI on Aliexpress for about £16

Their 24mm Tuxedo is also very good for face latherIng, costs about £13

I don't like boar brushes, and tend not to use badgers these days, as synthetics suit my needs and preference better
This is a Red Marble Tuxedo 24mm. As Paul argues, it is a good face latherer. It has plenty spring. I tend to favour RazoRocks for quality, however. I wouldn't go back to natural brushes now. Besides the ethical issues, the brushes need no soaking in; they take less time to dry; they have negligible bristle loss; and I get consistently good lathering with my soaps. The latter could be hit and miss with the boars; and the one badger I did use was far too floppy.

5C81FA2A-E27B-4A32-9758-98DD3B12A79F.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom