Boar Brush help!

CjH

So I always seem to have problems using boar brushes. They just seem to make soap and lather disappear.
I use a damp brush to lather up.... The brush is full to bursting with suds all over the place.... I turn my attention to something else for 5 seconds and look back to a lifeless set of bristles with no sudage to be seen anywhere.... Where does it go?
Just used Proraso green today... With a synthetic brush I have to get a paddling pool out to contain the foam.... But if I use a boar brush.... I use twice as much saop and get 3 times less foam....

Just don't know what is going on.

So I always seem to have problems using boar brushes. They just seem to make soap and lather disappear.
I use a damp brush to lather up.... The brush is full to bursting with suds all over the place.... I turn my attention to something else for 5 seconds and look back to a lifeless set of bristles with no sudage to be seen anywhere.... Where does it go?
Just used Proraso green today... With a synthetic brush I have to get a paddling pool out to contain the foam.... But if I use a boar brush.... I use twice as much saop and get 3 times less foam....

What boar are you using?' is it a Semogue?

Have you tried blooming your shaving soap?Some soap's benefit by doing so especially hard triple milled soaps,...Add a 2-3 drops of hot tap water to the soap, let it stand for 5 minutes or longer ,then pore the bloom water on to the tips of the brush then start swirling until you get past the bubbly/foamy stage,until you have a thick consistant amount of soap...because boar brushes hold less water, you've got to add some water to the tips of your brush.."NOT THE FULL BRUSH" when you're mixing the soap into a lather.

Stick with it,Boars are excellent brushes, once broken in,..Hope this helps.

Regards. B (y)

Wilkinson sword

I think you may find an Omega boar...any Omega boar will perform much, much better than the Wilkinson Sword boar. If you have a preference for smaller brushes 22mm - 24mm then check out this thread on small Omega boars https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...s/omega-boar-brush-small-brush-quartet.47016/ if you think you would enjoy a larger brush consider an Omega Pro 49 or Goodfella Wild Hog. Any of these Omega boar brushes can be had for well under £10. They are superb performers, produce and hold lather easily and require only the slightest and gentlest learning curve to get the most out of them. For a solid performer you will find the Omega 10066 has many fans and is well regarded out of the above recommendations. Also readily available online.

1572028631189.png

Cool... Thanks for your suggestions.
Some good Semogues here you could try for <£20:

These will be light years ahead of that Wilkie brush you have.

I have some info you might wanna read. If you are interested let me know. There is a really good written article on another forum, but I won't post the link here...

Those big omegas are great, but you will have a tough time taming it if your are a face latherer. I have the 48 and does fantastic lathering, but I primarily use it as a bowl latherer. lol

View attachment 51132
Zenith, these two I binned, floppy lather hoggers, lower lofts may have helped.

I have a 24mm/55mm bleached Zenith and it's not that it's really floppy, it has a reasonable amount of backbone but I never use the brush as it seems to require twice the soap/twice the time to build a lather for the first pass, and it's all gone for the 2nd/3rd passes. The unbleached Zenith on the other hand with the same dimensions is truly superb for it's feel and efficiency.

Hi guys IV only ever used one boar brush it was a thater boar and I hated it was so stiff and rough, what do you think the best quality boar knot is money no option?

Reactions: PHR
Back
Top Bottom