Blade coating

Relative newcomer to DE shaving ( about 6 months ) . Question I have regards blade coating and do they make any difference ? I initially thought that platinum blades were smoother and so tried sticking to them . But on pass me round sample box I tried couple of stainless blades and they seem to be just as smooth . So does the coating make any difference ? And which coating or non coating the best , plain stainless steel , platinum, teflon etc etc
Bought some shark stainless as well as platinum to try , but I'm struggling to see the difference while using same razor and soap . But other people have commented about Gillette 7s range saying they prefer green , yellow or black . So what's the difference , why is one blade better than other ?

Last edited:
1. Platinum, chromium, etc., are NOT the coating. They merely serve to harden the edge and make it last longer.

2. PTFE (Teflon), or a modern derivative, is the coating on all current stainless DE blades. That's what imparts the smoothness to a great extent.
Great , it's smooth shaves I'm after so helps me pick the right blade type to try

Great , it's smooth shaves I'm after so helps me pick the right blade type to try
Smooth shaves are also dependent on technique and preparation so you cannot there are many parameters that contribute to a smooth shave. Blades are very subjective so you need to try a few but Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge come up as popular choices. It is worth try all the blades in the St Petersburg stable.

Smooth shaves are also dependent on technique and preparation so you cannot there are many parameters that contribute to a smooth shave. Blades are very subjective so you need to try a few but Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge come up as popular choices. It is worth try all the blades in the St Petersburg stable.
I've ordered loads of samples to try , found Lancet blades sharp but smooth so far

Back
Top Bottom