At the grand old age of 64 I've received my first DB razor! For our ruby wedding anniversary my wife bought me a Muhle R89 twist which I'd read was a good beginner's razor.
From puberty to the age of 21 I used a Remington electric razor, which was a hand me down from my brother, before I grew a beard. When I was 48 I had more grey and even white in the beard than black and so I shaved it off and have been a daily shaver since then using either a Philishave or a cartridge razor -most recently a Harry's - as I'd fallen for the hype that multi-blades gave a smoother shave - and canned shaving gel.
Fast forward to a week or so ago, armed with my new gear and with some trepidation I attempted my first shave. Initially using King of Shaves pre shave oil ( now jettisoned as it left the wash basin oily) Proraso green and using a RazoRock 400 synthetic brush. I used the Muhle blade that came with the razor.
My first attempt at producing a decent lather was pathetic, but after watching some YouTube videos I'm improving. Despite my poor technique and a couple of minor nicks, my wife agreed that it was a much smoother shave than I'd ever achieved before.
I used the Muhle blade for 4 shaves before switching to an Astra green from a variety pack I'd bought. I preferred the Astra, but after 5 shaves I've thrown that and loaded the razor with a Voskhod for tomorrow. In my supply of blades I also have some Feather blades which I'm not going to try any time soon until I've refined my technique.
I bought my brush from Shaving Station as they offered free p&p. With the brush they'd enclosed a free sample of 1912 classic aftershave balm and so I went on to order some of this - and I'd thought I was going to save money with DB shaving. I've also purchased a block of alum!
Shaving used to be a necessary chore for me, like cleaning my teeth, but so far I'm enjoying shaving with my new toys.

At the grand old age of 64 I've received my first DB razor! For our ruby wedding anniversary my wife bought me a Muhle R89 twist which I'd read was a good beginner's razor.
From puberty to the age of 21 I used a Remington electric razor, which was a hand me down from my brother, before I grew a beard. When I was 48 I had more grey and even white in the beard than black and so I shaved it off and have been a daily shaver since then using either a Philishave or a cartridge razor -most recently a Harry's - as I'd fallen for the hype that multi-blades gave a smoother shave - and canned shaving gel.
Fast forward to a week or so ago, armed with my new gear and with some trepidation I attempted my first shave. Initially using King of Shaves pre shave oil ( now jettisoned as it left the wash basin oily) Proraso green and using a RazoRock 400 synthetic brush. I used the Muhle blade that came with the razor.
My first attempt at producing a decent lather was pathetic, but after watching some YouTube videos I'm improving. Despite my poor technique and a couple of minor nicks, my wife agreed that it was a much smoother shave than I'd ever achieved before.
I used the Muhle blade for 4 shaves before switching to an Astra green from a variety pack I'd bought. I preferred the Astra, but after 5 shaves I've thrown that and loaded the razor with a Voskhod for tomorrow. In my supply of blades I also have some Feather blades which I'm not going to try any time soon until I've refined my technique.
I bought my brush from Shaving Station as they offered free p&p. With the brush they'd enclosed a free sample of 1912 classic aftershave balm and so I went on to order some of this - and I'd thought I was going to save money with DB shaving. I've also purchased a block of alum!
Shaving used to be a necessary chore for me, like cleaning my teeth, but so far I'm enjoying shaving with my new toys.

Welcome to the rabbit hole...

There‘s a wealth of help , advice and some downright enabling available here, so enjoy!

You could try a load of stuff by signing up for the Newbie pass-around:

Welcome to the forum.

FWIW, Proraso Green can be a little tricky to get a good lather to begin with (well I found so at least). I'd recommend using a cream if you're starting out, and IMO the Palmolive Cream you can buy in supermarkets like Sainsbury's is a good place to start.

Welcome to TSR and definitely get your name down for the newbie box as @Rob998 has suggested. That will help give you some variety before you go on to remortgage your house for artisan shaving products!

Welcome to the forum. I'm a “mature” newbie too after decades of cartridge shaving.
looking forward to shaving is a strange thing after all these years.
In terms of blades Astra SPs are cheap as chips on amazon just now. A really nice smooth easy blade it's worth grabbing 100 for around a tenner.
I find it's not worth trying to get an extra shave when a new blade is so cheap
Enjoy
Paul

Back
Top Bottom