Best off-the-peg suits?

I went to a wedding on Saturday. The service was easy to dress for (robes - it was in my church and I'm the minister) but the reception . . . . My wife and daughters looked great but I was in a High Street suit (Next or M&S) and it felt cheap and, well, "common".

I looked like a chav up in the dock up before the beak.

So where's best for a good off-the-peg number? Any recommend retailers or shops? Having, er, "outgrown" my two tailor-made bespoke suits I can't go around looking like an estate agent.

Ta.

Having worked as a accountant at next for about 4 years, I was well stocked up on the gear!

If you really don't like the main stream suits, have a look at their signature range. The cut of the suit and material is really nice.

Jeff Banks at Debenhams are excellent. In fact, a lot of the designers in Debenhams are good, depends on your shape though, not all lines suit all shapes and you just have to try.

Pig Cat said:
Mine's from Next and I'm very happy with it. Bought a couple of years ago now so don't know what they are like at the moment.

Yep, me too.

Navy, single breasted.

First post a shaving forum, and it's about suits!

It's a tricky one, the highstreet stores are ok depending on your size. I used to wear suits for work and always found the products from Charles thywrytt (sp?) ok when a sale is on <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ctshirts.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.ctshirts.co.uk</a><!-- w --> and <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.asuitthatfits.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.asuitthatfits.co.uk</a><!-- w --> are good for reasonable made to measure stuff.

It's such a personal thing, a good suit makes you feel like the muts nuts, a bad one just the opposite

Anyway - hi! I'll post more about my DE start up on another thread

x

I usually get most of my gear from Slater's menswear - the one in central manc is very good, very "oooo! suits you sir" service :lol:

Last suit I bought was a single breasted navy Ted Baker for £200, still fits me a few years later and has kept it's shape and material very well. Nice cut.

I also like Daniel Hechter suits.

A good suit is an investment - get one that is a good cut with quality materials and it will last you years, will make you look (and feel) good and you will project confidence.

I brought a suit about 12 years ago on a whim, first time I wore it was to the at the time girl friends (now wife) grandfathers funeral, ssecond time was to my wedding, third time to my best mans funeral (2 weeks after my wedding) 4th time to a now sister in laws wedding, 5th to my mothers funeral.

not worn very many times, now too small for me, don't think I will be getting a new suit any time soon, funerals are not good times and weddings are expensive times so I think best to avoid the things - will just wear by best brigade unifrom if needed ;)

Like a few of the guys on here I purchased a Next suit jacket however it was at least 6 years ago and the quality of the fabric and the cut is excellent. Im not sure what they are like now.

My advice would be if you want quality but off the peg the Slaters Menswear is the way to go 100%

well I tried a few very smart but also trendy and casual at the same time, if that's possible from Marks & Spencers, the Autograph and the collezione Italian range are very nice indeed, some lovely colours and I would say get a nice linen suit for the up and comming season. PS, you must get a cutaway collar nothing else will do.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.marksandspencer.com/Collezione-Summer-Sophisticate/dp/B004W8W7XE?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_11&nodeId=524620031&sr=1-11&qid=1304420999&pf_rd_r=1EH9M8E2ZMH50JK96P2N&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=524620031&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3#products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.marksandspencer.com/Collezio ... 3#products</a><!-- m -->

Jamie

I agree, don't dis the M&S suit. Dis the pants, not what they once were or at least I haven't found them.

I have a couple of machine washable numbers, I'd get another.

Back
Top Bottom