Beginners advice request

MJI

Hi everyone,

After some after about making coffee that's a little more serious that just cafetiere made.

I'm after making a good espresso, either for its own sake or to make cappuccino, latte etc.

Realistically, I'll only be doing this on weekends. I don't drink coffee at home during the week. Not a rule but just never seems to happen.

So a few options

Moka pot maybe? Not the real deal but maybe good enough for a weekend brew?

Though about a proper machine. Gaggia Classic seems to get good press around here. Is it simple enough for a beginner? Is there maybe something else to consider? We have a coffee roaster in town here so getting fresh ground wouldn't be an issue. Is the expense of a grinder at home worth it for me?

Then how about bean to cup? The delonghi magnifica maybe? Is to OTT for a weekend cup of espresso?

Are coffee pod machines out? They're seem roughly same price, but if you're paying that price, surely you would go for the real thing?

Finally, are there any costs hidden or otherwise, I need to factor in to make the best decision? Maintenance? Other kit?

I know this is a bit of a wide open question type post, so my thanks in advance to anyone who chips in!

M

I'm a Jura man myself. Machines are a bit more but I cant fault it. Most options at a press's of a button, two boilers, semi commercial. The maintenance is very expensive but I found an independent service engineer which keeps prices down. A Jura service is £250!! The engineer did say that if you use water filter or descale regularly then it shouldn't need a service anyway

Had a a Nespresso first - their coffee is very good but I wanted more options

Still only as good as the beans mind you but I still vote Jura as tops machine. The only down side is that it is very automated so if you want a more hands on approach, one of the traditional machines would be better but I like to go to kitchen, press button, get fresh ground coffee.

I don't have (and never have had) a genuine espresso machine, so I'm only giving one half of the story here. I have a nespresso and find the coffee to be great - there's no fuss, virtually no cleaning and a reliable coffee every time (better than the Starbucks stall at work). I got one with a steam wand attachment so I can make cappuccinos and lattes too.

By the same token, I'm sure that you can get better coffee from a serious machine but the accounts I get from colleagues with them make it sound like a lot more hassle - one chap tossed 6 espressos one Saturday morning before he found an acceptable cup.

So - all I would say is, consider how much effort you want to invest. If you fancy coffee as a hobby or are happy to invest the time learning how to get the best from the machine then I think a quality machine has to be a good option.

If you want a nice cup of coffee in 2 minutes, the consider a pod machine. Nespresso gets my vote - it is definitely a step up from Dolce Gusto, etc.

Hey and thanks both.

Good points about time and fuss over dedication and interest.

I'd say I'm probably looking for the genuine machine experience but want to test my "resolve" as it were to see if I can stick it.

Can anyone with a machine like a gaggia classic (I think that's about my price point for now) give me a flavour of routine and special maintenance please? Do your worst to put me off!! :D

MJI said:
After some after about making coffee that's a little more serious that just cafetiere made.

It's that 'just' that tells us where the problem lies! I love my cafetieres and the coffee I get from them - but I take it very seriously from finding a roast house and beans that suit me on through to sipping wonderful coffee. Naturally, finding the right cafetieres took a bit of doing, too.

My Nesspreso machine lies un-used in the attic.

Thought about an aeropress? Have a play with that...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2014/feb/06/coffee-makers-budget-baristas-video

I started down the gaggia classic route around 5 weeks ago after picking a broken one up on this forum.

After fixing it (easy) in it's bog standard form it produces a nice espresso without too much fuss. Also it steams/froths milk without too much fuss. This was using coffee's such as pre ground Illy from the supermarket through to our local roaster who ground it for me.
Good machine, good coffee ;)

BUT... then I went for all the usual modifications, Over Pressure Valve mod, taking it down to 9bar pressure. Replace the steaming wand with a Silvia one. Non pressurised filter baskets. Better quality tamper & stainless steaming jug.
Iberital MC2 grinder.

It's taken me 2 days (around 10 coffees) and I have 'almost' got my grind and tamper dialled in. This mornings shot just started going weak at around 20 seconds instead of 25.

As for steaming milk, thats not even close yet but I have to try another brand of milk/type because I have read Tesco's semi skimmed is not much good. Time will tell.
My milk at the moment hase a thin layer of froth and the rest is just hot milk.

So draw your own conclusions from that!

If you want a good cup of espresso just for the weekend, look at the aerobie aeropress. I won't froth milk though!

Have an Aeropress. Use it from time to time. Like it better than a French Press. Coffee tastes better, and it's a lot, a lot, easier to clean!!!

I've got one (Aeropress) at work and I agree that it makes a very decent cup of coffee but I wouldn't think that it would scratch this particular itch. If MJI gets one, I would put money on the fact that he'll end up with an espresso machine shortly after!

I used a Mokka for years, and it still makes perfectly drinkable coffee and produces far better results than I got from a cheap 'espresso' machine I owned previously.
The Gaggia, however, will easily make you a proper espresso. The caveat here however is that it will only make a decent coffee if you use reaonably fresh beans and the grind you use is 'dialled in' properly, and that means buying a decent grinder. I spent far more on my grinder than my machine. And, yes, you toss loads of coffee before you hit the sweet spot. Assuming then that you don't change your beans around too often you should be pretty much set.
I guess for most people part of the enjoyment is the infinite tinkering, but if that sounds like hassle then I'd definitely recommend a Mokka or Aeropress.

Hmmm aeropress. They get good press.

Thank you all for your contributions so far. Definitely what I need, as it's getting me thinking! Great stuff!

MJI said:

Thank you all for your contributions so far. Definitely what I need, as it's getting me thinking! Great stuff!

Good pun! Aeropress are great. But pair it with a grinder and fresh beans for best results. If you want a cheap hand grinder, look up Hario or Porlex. Should be around £30. Re the Aeropress, Amazon sell them in a gift set from Rave including 250g of coffee and cheaper than most places sell the Aeropress on its own. Also look up Cream Supplies for accessories. Motta milk pitchers about half the price of anywhere else.

Aeropress is interesting. Seriously considering, at least as a stop gap to ensure I'm serious before committing to the Gaggia Classic.

Can any shed any light on the daily/weekly/monthly maintenance of the classic or machine? I've watched some videos on back flushing and descaling and it seems straight forward enough.

One thing that did confuse me though was in one video it seemed to suggest cleaning the shower plate (if that's what it's called) after a brew. Unscrewing it and all. Is this right??

Running hot water through everything will generally do in terms of daily maintenance, back flushing and descaling for a machine used at weekends only...probably once every six months if that, same for the shower plate.

MJI said:

Hi there,

Yeah, that contraption does get good reviews, although I'm not quite sure why. Not as much coffee taste as a French press, and only a small amount of coffee can be made at one time. Used one for a while but it wasn't for me.

French press isn't bad, but that flavor gets old after a while. Too much oils in the mix for my druthers.

I would suggest a simple pour through set up......either Melitta or Chemex paper filter system. Use a dark roast a little more finely ground than usual for this type of maker and pour the hot water over the grinds in a thoughtful manner. Delicious!

It ain't espresso, but it's a step up from the aeropress in my view. Been my favorite coffee making method for many years.

Clean up's a snap...just dump the filter and rinse the glass pot out and done deal. Right now I'm using a 6 cup one piece glass handle Chemex.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom