Bath Soap Recommendations

Gents,

This shaving hobby of mine started at shaving hardware and software, then extended to colognes, and now I am getting interested in bath soaps. When will it end???

I would love to hear from those of you that take a particular interest in bath soaps. Obviously I am aware of the usual soaps generally available at the supermarket. I am more interested to hear about your favourite niche/artisan/luxury soaps that you love and use. I am assuming the hard soaps are better than the liquid ones, but am all ears on this distinction.

To get the ball rolling, in the winter sales I ordered some hard soaps from Floris and Penhaligons. So far I have just used the Penhaligons (Blenheim Bouquet). I am enjoying it though I had hoped the fragrance would be a bit stronger.

Thanks in advance.

The soap I got from "a close shave" went down very well with those I gave it to for Xmas. Not used it yet myself but the smell is incredible and fills the room.

Last update said there was one lot left, dunno if that's still the case : http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=29711

I use bath soap all the time but in the shower.

Have a look here http://www.theportugalonlineshop.com/health-beauty/bath-body/soap-gels

Nice bloke to deal with and there is a TSR discount.

Valobra do some nice bath soaps too if you wish to push the boat out £'s wise, see connaught shaving site.

For a cheap fix go on ebay and search for olive soap mostly from Greece or Aleppo soap. The Aleppo has a scent which takes a bit of getting use to but it's great for problem skin. I use the same soap in my hair and have found olive oil soap softens my hair too.

You can also check out these Spanish brands if you have a Spanish shop nearby or otherwise from eBay: Magno, Agua Lavanda Puig, Heno de Pravia. L'Occitane have many nice soaps too.

Nanny's Silly Soaps have plenty to choose from and, from my limited experience, they are very good. I bought my missus the warm spice bath soap and liked the scent so much I bought the matching shaving soap.

if you like the smell of Arko and Derby shave sticks, then there is this 4 pack Turkish Bath soap, I think its called "Duru Turk Hamam" something like that and it was £4 including postage its fantastic, also from Gemstone shaving there are some Spanish bath soaps but I never tried them

Sezer74 said:
if you like the smell of Arko and Derby shave sticks, then there is this 4 pack Turkish Bath soap, I think its called "Duru Turk Hamam" something like that and it was £4 including postage its fantastic, also from Gemstone shaving there are some Spanish bath soaps but I never tried them

ive noticed the turk hammam soap before and been tempted, what is the scent like?

my girlfriend got me some soap from tk maxx recently, an italian soap by a company called alchimia, tuscan spruce flavour and that seems good quality. my skin feels good after using it and it smells good.

thoosero said:
Gents,

This shaving hobby of mine started at shaving hardware and software, then extended to colognes, and now I am getting interested in bath soaps. When will it end???

I would love to hear from those of you that take a particular interest in bath soaps. I am more interested to hear about your favourite niche/artisan/luxury soaps that you love and use.

Hi there,

Some of the frags I like have been around 30 years or more and during that time there were sometimes bath soaps made using the original scent. Surprisingly to me, there's maybe 5-6 vintage bath soaps in the arsenal. Nicely scented ones made by Caron and Goutal and Aramis and Hermes and Givenchy. I have and use the EdTs for all of em.

Yeah, those are pleasant to use on occasion, except it's tough getting one wet for the first time. Hah, there's a number I can't bring myself to unwrap.

Go vintage for an interesting change of pace,

Martin

I've pretty much dropped the 'brand' soaps - Roger & Gallet as an exception - and go for artisan products. Nanny's are excellent. Never mind judgments about masculine and feminine, go for what appeals. There's fun and reward in finding new artisans - and a few disappointments, of course.

isaiah53 said:
my girlfriend got me some soap from tk maxx recently, an italian soap by a company called alchimia, tuscan spruce flavour and that seems good quality. my skin feels good after using it and it smells good.

I've been in too, they are doing a great range at the minute. In the Italian soaps I've had Almond, Rose, Lavender and Olive Oil. The Almond smells exactly like Cella and they all feel fantastic afterwards. My favourite bargain though was a bar of Woods Of Windsor Cedar Woods for £2.00, and it smells amazing.

isaiah53 said:
Sezer74 said:

ive noticed the turk hammam soap before and been tempted, what is the scent like?

It smells exactly same as Arko and Derby sticks

Back
Top Bottom