Artist Club SE blades

Gentlemen
I would appreciate your advice having just purchased a Razorock Hawk
I would like to know what would be the best Artist Club to start with seeing as this is my first SE razor any help much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Colonial General and RazoRock Hawk 2. I'm finding it a challenge to source a smooth blade, efficient enough to cut my wiry/coarse/dense three or four day beard, without causing me ingrown hairs 48 hours later. My skin is so sensitive, using the Schick Proline P-30 blade in both aforementioned razors caused me too much irritation, even though the Colonial General is a milder razor than the RazoRock Hawk 2.

I do have a few more blades to try, but I'm unsure whether they'd be smoother than the Schick Proline P-30 or not. Of the following AC blades (yes I appreciate YMMV), which would be more efficient compared to the Schick Proline P-30 , and which, if any, would be smoother?

Kai | Captain Sharpblade

Kai | Captain Original

Feather | Pro Light Blade

Kamisori

Many thanks.

In my Hawk I find the Schick Proline P30s to be just about the smoothest, and more than sharp enough. The Feather Professionals aren't far behind, and the Feather Super Pros are also good if you like a bit more blade feel (or a slight element of danger in your life).

I find the Kai Captain to be the most suitable for my skin and a nicely balance in its approach. I just don't get on with the likes of the Schicks and Feathers and found them trying to be too sharp which rather unbalanced the feel of of both the Hawk and the General.

I have the Colonial General and RazoRock Hawk 2. I'm finding it a challenge to source a smooth blade, efficient enough to cut my wiry/coarse/dense three or four day beard, without causing me ingrown hairs 48 hours later. My skin is so sensitive, using the Schick Proline P-30 blade in both aforementioned razors caused me too much irritation, even though the Colonial General is a milder razor than the RazoRock Hawk 2.

I do have a few more blades to try, but I'm unsure whether they'd be smoother than the Schick Proline P-30 or not. Of the following AC blades (yes I appreciate YMMV), which would be more efficient compared to the Schick Proline P-30 , and which, if any, would be smoother?

Kai | Captain Sharpblade

Kai | Captain Original

Kamisori

Many thanks.
I have a strong beard and need to shave Daily. I use Vintage SE/Injectors and also AC/SE Razors such as the Hawk. I use the Schick Prolines and find them to operate smoothly.
What other Razors do you use and do they cause you problems too.I suspect that you may be using too much pressure on the Razor during a Shave, with a good lather you should barely feel the Razor on your skin.

I have a strong beard and need to shave Daily. I use Vintage SE/Injectors and also AC/SE Razors such as the Hawk. I use the Schick Prolines and find them to operate smoothly.
What other Razors do you use and do they cause you problems too.I suspect that you may be using too much pressure on the Razor during a Shave, with a good lather you should barely feel the Razor on your skin.
Hi mpf9ret. I understand why you'd suggest less pressure. I've been wet shaving for a long time, and I allow the weight of the razor to shave me. Of lighter/literally weightless razors, the slightest of touches. But I'm unable to shave on a daily basis. Only twice a week, as my skin is funny sensitive.

I use a myriad of modern/vintage DE, modern/vintage injectors, and the modern SE's mentioned above. I'm just trying to find the right combination of blade with my modern SE razors at the moment, before I dismiss them for causing too much irritation for me. Many of the modern/vintage DE razors I've used with miscellaneous blades have caused too much irritation for me, but there are a couple that are OK. However, the Supply V2, on plate 2 and 3 with a Schick Proline B-20 has been my best combination (Gillette Sensor Excel is a close second), and hope to reach similar conclusions with other razors soon.

Last edited:
I find the Kai Captain to be the most suitable for my skin and a nicely balance in its approach. I just don't get on with the likes of the Schicks and Feathers and found them trying to be too sharp which rather unbalanced the feel of of both the Hawk and the General.
Hi Satanfriendly. May I ask which Kai Captain are you referring to?

These are the ones I have been using

I desperately wanted to like using the Schick Proline P-30 in the General, especially as the Schick Proline B-20 is a blade I really enjoy using in my Supply V2. But I'm open to an alternative if it delivers a smooth efficient shave for my sensibilities.

Thanks for the link Satanfriendly. Anthony at Shave Lounge is a cool guy. Hmmmmmm... I suspect that's the Kai Captain Original. I haven't tried that blade yet, but I'll give it a go in the General when my rotation allows for it.

I desperately wanted to like using the Schick Proline P-30 in the General, especially as the Schick Proline B-20 is a blade I really enjoy using in my Supply V2. But I'm open to an alternative if it delivers a smooth efficient shave for my sensibilities.

Thanks for the link Satanfriendly. Anthony at Shave Lounge is a cool guy. Hmmmmmm... I suspect that's the Kai Captain Original. I haven't tried that blade yet, but I'll give it a go in the General when my rotation allows for it.

I like them................a lot

Kai | Captain Sharpblade

Kai | Captain Original

Kamisori

Many thanks.
I was in a similar position to yourself , my saviour was / is the Kai Protouch MG , highly recommended

I appreciate YMMV (I have a tough/dense/coarse beard, and sensitive skin), so I'll let you know how I get on. Although it may be a while, as earlier today I had a rough shave using a Schick 'G' with the Schick Proline B-20 (doh!). A Schick 'E' might be a better fit for me, but I'm about spent up for this month. However, I just finished sanitizing/cleaning up my new Schick 'M' Adjustable which arrived today. It was in a sorry state to begin with, but I'm happy with it now. I anticipate I'll be able to dial in the ideal shave using the Schick Proline B-20.

After the Schick Razor Rotation or even before I may revisit the General, skin permitting.

Cheers!

I was in a similar position to yourself , my saviour was / is the Kai Protouch MG , highly recommended
Hi The Geordie Shaver. I used the same sort of logic a while ago, but instead used the Feather Pro Guard in both the RazoRock Hawk V2, and The General. While less irritating during the shave, I still had several ingrown hairs 48 hours later (a common occurance for me), which seemed to be exacerbated by consecutive shaves afterwards especially (skin thinning?). But I can appreciate Kai Captain Titan Mild Pro Touch MG may be a very different experience. I don't think I have these blades, so I think I'll order a couple from Try-A-Blade or Razor Blades Club.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom