Arrowhead + Dovo Special Question

Arrowhead I heard you say you have acquired [can't remember where abouts] a Dovo Special. I want to ask you if you have a coarse beard or not and how does the Special perform against other straights you've shaved with? I've read a good review about the special so I was wondering what your opinion is and would it suit a coarse beard?

Well you know, he's been quite the Gent in answering a few straight shaving related questions and seeing as he has acquired a Dovo Special, a razor I've been considering, I thought he may be just the man to shed some light on this razor. But like you say no pressure, I wouldn't want to put anyone on the spot.

I've only just logged in!

I bought mine from Nivlo, so you might want to ask him where he got it from. Since it was honed, I'm guessing Invisible Edge. I did give it a touch up before use though.

My beard's neither one thing nor t'other, I don't think: if it's any guide I seem to get the same amount of shaves from DE blades as most other people which is to say 3 for most of them, more for Iridiums and Swedes.

The razor's nicely made and finished, much better than most photos would lead you to believe, and the ersatz tortoiseshell is actually very attractive. There is one strange cosmetic defect in that on one side the washers are doubled up, ie. two identical ones stacked up, and I've no idea why that should be. It's a full hollow, feels light and delicate and the thinness of the blade makes it noisy when shaving - quite nice that because it gets quieter as you get more clean shaven. The edge holds up as well as my other razors, which are vintage shallow ground types, and the shave is comparable.

I like it a lot and see no reason not to recommend one. Hope that helps, and I'll be happy to supply any further information if I can later.

Back
Top Bottom