Are vintage razors good velue for money?

I've got a slim on it's way, which I got off eBay. I'll be interested to see how it shaves. It was only £50.00 just under. Until someone sells their Karve SS, that'll be my only purchase. Then I'll be wanting to compare that latest breed of modern razors.

they'll last as long as a stainless version given many are already heading towards the century old mark.

How do you figure that? A vintage razor might have been here for a century but I still think a SS razor would outlast that.

Also, out that hundred years I'm sure there are long gaps of no useage or a few raplates.

I'm with you if you value history, I get that but I'm personally not bothered with razors unless I had my dad's or grandfather's razor....I do like vintage bicycles through :)

Most of mine were incredibly good value.
My British 1912s were all under a tenner.
Most of my vintage razors were under 20 quid.
Granted - vintage Gillette razors are overpriced.

Personally I think that stainless steel is too heavy and soulless and DE blades are too flimsy.
That attitude has saved me a lot of money :)

My Fatboy bought from a member here is my favourite razor. I've used a lot of modern and vintage razors and the fatboy just does it for me. If I could only have one that would be it. 60 years old next year and still giving me the best shaves I've ever had. For me it's totally worth the money.

How do you figure that? A vintage razor might have been here for a century but I still think a SS razor would outlast that.

Also, out that hundred years I'm sure there are long gaps of no useage or a few raplates.

I'm with you if you value history, I get that but I'm personally not bothered with razors unless I had my dad's or grandfather's razor....I do like vintage bicycles through :)
Fair challenge - I've worded that poorly. The stainless would outlast the brass version as an asset but it's probably safe to say they'd both outlast us so either would be a sound investment.

Providing it's not a zamak razor, replating is required purely for aesthetic reasons. Under the original plating is normally brass components which are unlikely to significantly degrade in a bathroom environment.

Whether the razor is old or new is irrelevant, they are just blade holders. For me the real question is will DE blades still be manufactured in 100 years? If not then they will all be paperweights.
Right now I can only think why not. If we look at what's available at the moment and what could be a better alternative. I doubt that there will ever be an electric shaver that will challenge a DE, SE ( having used electric shavers for years) ... the one thing that makes me doubt is men opting for something totally different, like permanent beard removal or like the Arabic man I met last year, wearing a permanent beard drawn by laser.... that could catch on although it looked to perfect... not for me though.

Providing it's not a zamak razor, replating is required purely for aesthetic reasons. Under the original plating is normally brass components which are unlikely to significantly degrade in a bathroom environment.

Aesthetic reasons are very important to me, I wouldn't shave with a razor that is in need of replating (OCD)...everytime I thought about a vintage razor, the ones in mint condition were too expensive.

I'm sure there are some great razors for some people but not for me.

Also, I'm not going to live another 100 years so I couldn't care less if in 100 years my SS razors are only good for paperweight :giggle:

Whether the razor is old or new is irrelevant, they are just blade holders. For me the real question is will DE blades still be manufactured in 100 years? If not then they will all be paperweights.

Are you planning to be around in a 100 years time? ;)

Back
Top Bottom