Apple - Snow Leopard

I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard.
My HP printer wouldn't print. Over an hour on the phone to Apple Care resolved the problem. Now I find I cannot scan or copy. Really don't want to sit here agin for an hour or more sorting that out. May just pick up another compatible printer if I can identify one. So irritating because otherwise the Macs are so reliable.
So HP/Mac users beware.

Thnaks Fido, I've been thinking about upgrading to Snow Leopard from normal Leopard but the luddite in me thinks "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Not exactly the positive mental attitude that drove the engines of progress but there you go.

Rev-O said:
Thnaks Fido, I've been thinking about upgrading to Snow Leopard from normal Leopard but the luddite in me thinks "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Not exactly the positive mental attitude that drove the engines of progress but there you go.

Nor the one that will keep your pride and joy secure against security threats when Apple stop supporting your version.

Incidentally, Mac-toting gents may wish to ensure they are entirely up to date with their operating system & software patching.... since there's a rather unpleasant java-based attack out there - See here

Thanks HM.
I'm pleased I upgraded to Snow Leopard - this printer problem is the only downside. I'll either get appropriate software updates to crack the problem or buy a compatible printer. I'll be chatting to the Apple lads and lasses in their Southampton store soon.

Fido said:
I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard.
My HP printer wouldn't print. Over an hour on the phone to Apple Care resolved the problem. Now I find I cannot scan or copy. Really don't want to sit here agin for an hour or more sorting that out. May just pick up another compatible printer if I can identify one. So irritating because otherwise the Macs are so reliable.
So HP/Mac users beware.

This scenario is ALL too familiar to me. Having to take phone calls from people that have upgraded their operating systems WITHOUT checking that all their peripherals will work after the upgrade is a major pain in the arse for me.

It wouldn't be so bad if the customer would realise that it's not the fault of the peripheral manufacturer, but unfortunately, trying to get them to see it that way is, 80% of the time, impossible.

Was their any particular reason that you upgraded to Snow Leopard?

Ian

Look at it from the viewpoint of an ordinary computer user who hasn't a clue about all the complexities.
Apple produced a new operating system at a very low price. Why get it? Because it is an improvement. It is better, faster and easier to use. Improved security and reduced hard drive space required. Surely a user has every right to expect it will continue to work with anything plugged in to the computer? I was aware there were teething problems and downloaded the software updates that were available to address known compatibility problems. There are obviously some that still need to be resolved. People don't check that their peripherals will work after an upgrade simply because they are mostly unaware of the need to. So whose fault is that? I blame Apple in this case. They should make customers aware of potential issues that need to be addressed if they encourage them to upgrade.

Fido said:
People don't check that their peripherals will work after an upgrade simply because they are mostly unaware of the need to. So whose fault is that? I blame Apple in this case. They should make customers aware of potential issues that need to be addressed if they encourage them to upgrade.

Agree 100% - particularly when you're going from version x.y.z to x.y.(z+1) - very different if it's from x.y.z to (x+1).y.z

I'd be incandescent if I applied (say) a service pack or a small point upgrade to any of my computers/routers/GPS/DVD player/TV/etc and they stopped working as they were before. I'd be apopleptic if I'd paid for the "pleasure".

Fido said:
I blame Apple in this case. They should make customers aware of potential issues that need to be addressed if they encourage them to upgrade.

Indeed. Unfortunately Fido, most of the people that I HAVE to speak to do not grasp this, which makes me even more weary of the world than I already am!

I have no doubt that you will get this sorted as the peripheral manufacturers play catch-up with the drivers, you just may have to wait for a while.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom