AP Shave Co. Brush Advice

I'm looking for some advice from you seasoned brush veterans regarding some AP Shave brushes.

I really enjoyed my shave with the Wild West Brushworks brush I got from Russ @RussellR5555 and it's a 24mm cashmere knot. This has a lower glue bump than my Chinese synthetics. I quite fancy a larger cashmere to join my collection having enjoyed the softness. I can't bring myself (yet) to spend big on synthetic brush so another Wild West or similar is out of the question. I do like the look of the AP brushes though. The two I'm looking at in particular are:

30mm Cashmere with Summer Handle:

28mm SynBad with Winter Handle:

Does anyone have any experience with these knots they can share?

I have a SynbBad and of the 4 synthetics I've tried I Ike it the best. It is less springy and splays the best in comparison with my others. It will not, however, replace any of my badgers or boars. I use it primarily when I travel because it dries very quickly in comparison the a badger or boar.

I have a SynbBad and of the 4 synthetics I've tried I Ike it the best. It is less springy and splays the best in comparison with my others. It will not, however, replace any of my badgers or boars. I use it primarily when I travel because it dries very quickly in comparison the a badger or boar.
What knot size did you have?

I have a 24mm AP Synbad with ‘Elegant Emerald' green marble swirl handle. Took about a week to arrive in the UK. Really pleased with it. It's a bit more dense than the Razorocks I've had. I can't get too technical, it's a brush, which lathers cream and then places it onto my face. I'm not sure what more there is to it than that. It feels nice and I like it

I have a 24mm AP Synbad with ‘Elegant Emerald' green marble swirl handle. Took about a week to arrive in the UK. Really pleased with it. It's a bit more dense than the Razorocks I've had. I can't get too technical, it's a brush, which lathers cream and then places it onto my face. I'm not sure what more there is to it than that. It feels nice and I like it
Have you ever tried the Yaqi 24mm synthetics? I appreciate it's entirely subjective, but if you have, does the SynBad feel nicer/softer than those?

Have you ever tried the Yaqi 24mm synthetics? I appreciate it's entirely subjective, but if you have, does the SynBad feel nicer/softer than those?
I have a couple of Yaqi mew browns and find the Synbad to be noticeably better. Not great at describing brushes, but the loft on the mew browns is lower and the knot feels denser with less splay which I find makes it harder to face lather with. Yaqi wins on value for money, but if I had £30 or whatever to spend, would go for the Synbad

I do really like my 24mm Yaqi timberwolf though

I have a couple of Yaqi mew browns and find the Synbad to be noticeably better. Not great at describing brushes, but the loft on the mew browns is lower and the knot feels denser with less splay which I find makes it harder to face lather with. Yaqi wins on value for money, but if I had £30 or whatever to spend, would go for the Synbad

I do really like my 24mm Yaqi timberwolf though
Excellent. I've made a good choice with the SynBad then

Only just seen your question. I had a Yaqi Tuxedo and it had a really high glue bump so I was never a big fan. I believe they are better now but I'm happy with what I have (2 Razorocks, the Synbad & a Muhle STF). Yes the Synbad feels nicer /softer than that Yaqi tux. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Synbad

Excellent. I've made a good choice with the SynBad then
You did made a good choice, indeed. After 2-3 years of using ApShave knots I would say the SynBad is the most universal, out of the 5 synths available. Cashmere is softer and SilkSmoke firmer (better for hard soaps). However, the new 2BED is really something, very nice with the semi-fan shape, with look and performance close as possible to 2-band fan badgers. Good thing you went with the 28mm, I found 24mm to be sloppy, but that's me only. I have and used all of the APShaves knots in 28mm and 30mm sizes, but I set the lofts myself, because the standard brushes have 60mm and it's not working well for me. This makes a bigger knot look smaller (like 24mm or 26mm max.). I set them at 55-56mm, thus increasing the density/backbone and bring them even closer to real badger. Smaller, better, denser, firmer (no flop), enough splay and super soft tips - I like them this way.

Hope I have been of help to you. Enjoy your new brush!

Best,

You did made a good choice, indeed. After 2-3 years of using ApShave knots I would say the SynBad is the most universal, out of the 5 synths available. Cashmere is softer and SilkSmoke firmer (better for hard soaps). However, the new 2BED is really something, very nice with the semi-fan shape, with look and performance close as possible to 2-band fan badgers. Good thing you went with the 28mm, I found 24mm to be sloppy, but that's me only. I have and used all of the APShaves knots in 28mm and 30mm sizes, but I set the lofts myself, because the standard brushes have 60mm and it's not working well for me. This makes a bigger knot look smaller (like 24mm or 26mm max.). I set them at 55-56mm, thus increasing the density/backbone and bring them even closer to real badger. Smaller, better, denser, firmer (no flop), enough splay and super soft tips - I like them this way.

Hope I have been of help to you. Enjoy your new brush!

Best,

Thank you. That's quality insight you've given there. I may call on your skillset one day to modify some brushes for me :)

Thank you. That's quality insight you've given there. I may call on your skillset one day to modify some brushes for me :)
Sure. You're welcome anytime. I'll be more than glad to help you with info on any synthetic, based on my experience, because I had them all. From the first Plisson brush years ago and until now, with APShave, which I favour. Just look for me @Martini at the neighbouring forum, ATG, where I'm active and we see each other more often.

...I would say the SynBad is the most universal, out of the 5 synths available. Cashmere is softer and SilkSmoke firmer (better for hard soaps). However, the new 2BED is really something, very nice with the semi-fan shape, with look and performance close as possible to 2-band fan badgers. Good thing you went with the 28mm, I found 24mm to be sloppy, but that's me only. I have and used all of the APShaves knots in 28mm and 30mm sizes, but I set the lofts myself, because the standard brushes have 60mm and it's not working well for me. This makes a bigger knot look smaller (like 24mm or 26mm max.). I set them at 55-56mm, thus increasing the density/backbone and bring them even closer to real badger. Smaller, better, denser, firmer (no flop), enough splay and super soft tips - I like them this way...

I have a YaQi "Mew Brown/SynBad" and agree with your conclusion. As well for the Cashmere, with which I easily use for 95% of my shaving. I have the YaQi 24mm Dandelion green one. Back to AP, I bought one of their 24mm FlatTop synth brushes when it first came out and it languishes in storage as it is far too "floppy" for my tastes. I am reminded of the famous quote President Teddy Roosevelt purportedly said about President Wm. McKinley: "He has no more backbone than a chocolate éclair.” ;) I believe it to be a DS Cosmetic knot as well. I would personally like to see a YaQi Cashmere "flat top" style knot set at your 55 - 56mm. That would be the bee's knees IMO!! :love:

The thing about synthetic brushes is their tendency to "doughnut" in the center of the knot after the passage of time/usage. I find it does not affect how they perform however.

My comments above refer only to 28mm and 30mm brushes and for certain type of knots (APShave only!). I gave up on Yaqi long time ago.

I would never recommend 24mm to be set at lower lofts, there is not enough fibre (dia.) and will not only look funny, but also totally useless, imo. The new APS 2BED has nothing to do with "flat top" Yaqi or fan type knots elsewhere. Words have to be taken in the right context.

Most of my brushes are used more than a year, some two or longer and I never seen the "doughnut" effect in any synthetic, regardless how hard I push them against the face in the process of face lathering. Again, we are talking only big size knots, dense like APS, with shorter lofts!

Back
Top Bottom