Angle when going ATG?

Hi guys,

Not too fussed about BBS. But on a sunday when I got time, I might as well do it.

With my black beauty (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Adjustable/1970%20Super%20Adjustable%20black%20beauty%20P3.jpg">http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Adjust ... y%20P3.jpg</a><!-- m -->) I think I am right in believing that the angle when going ATG needs to be pretty huge. I'm talking like 45 - 60 degrees on setting 4 (of 9). I only tried it once. At a smaller angle than this, there is a noise but it's of the razor head against my skin and not the actual blade.

1. Do any of you have to use such a wide angle on your adjustables when going ATG? I tried once and it works.
On Mantic's youtube vidoes he has it almost parrallel with the face when going ATG.

2. Excuse the daft question: Am i right in believing that the LOWEST number your most comfortable with/getting a decent shave with is the one to keep on an adjustable? And not the other way round - go to the HIGHEST you can possibly go to without killing yourself?

I just see at lot of guys on a prev. forum where i came from always talking about setting it on the highest. I have a really, really tough beard but I seem to be going ok at 4 (of 9). I guess one day when technique is better i will go higher. Bit like driving lesson - only let you go in top gear when you're ready .

Cheers

ps. This is strange. I posted a message about harmless scum forming on my razor and blades after use. After that posting, it doesn't develope anymore. So, if I post a problem on a forum, it clears up automatically in real life. Let's try it: I have no money in my bank account.

There are two ways you can go ATG...as you are using an adjustable just dial it down to a low setting (1 to 3) keeping your'e usual shaving angle. If you are using a more aggresive razor or have the adjustable on a higher setting then adjust your'e angle accordingly and shave with the razor head at a shallower angle.
Start with the razor head perpendicular to the skin and adjust the razor head angle until it just starts to cut, that is your'e angle, use a sharp blade.

I use this method for finding my adjustable settings ...use ONE setting that gives you a satisfactory shave using two WTG main passes only then dial around that setting if you need or want to. For example I can get a good two WTG pass shave with my fatboy set on 5, for a finer shave I go 4 then 6 WTG then 3 for a little buffing if necessary. Use a setting that you can get away with, no point shaving on 8 when 6 will do and a featherlite touch of course.

Thats what works for me.

sonny said:
ps. This is strange. I posted a message about harmless scum forming on my razor and blades after use. After that posting, it doesn't develope anymore. So, if I post a problem on a forum, it clears up automatically in real life. Let's try it: I have no money in my bank account.

I am old, poor and have an economy-size member.

SirPrize said:
sonny said:

Has the aristocracy "fallen on hard times"?

SirPrize said:
sonny said:

Keep your pecker up!

I don't think a small angle (or smaller than the wtg angle) is possible with a black beauty adjustible (1-9 settings) when going ATG unless i am doing something wrong???

when i put the razor upside down and parallel to my face, the blade just doesn't stick out of the razor in order to cut.

anyone else understand this?

I do have one of those adjustables and know what you mean, the head design means at that angle the blade is not in contact with your face. I have not used it for some time but form memory it is closer to 45 degrees before the blade meets the face.

Na yer fine mate, I went and dug it out and compared it to other razors and it is about 45 degrees. Never noticed that till you mentioned it.

You are crazy but thats nothing to do with the razor :D

Pig Cat said:
sonny said:
My last 5 shaves have been absolutely useless.

In what way have they been useless? Was it just the lather at fault do you think?

The lather is thick with streaks rather than light and meringue-like; like the one in mantic's videos. More water doesn't help because it just makes it too thin. I am using soft water.

Oher problem is i use to be able to get a real good cut on my neck (under jaw line) contours. But now, I just can't seem to get anything to work. Doesn't make sense.

Will go back to HD tomorrow morning to see if it makes a difference. I'm beginning to see the gilette razors are quite 'safe' compared to the more aggressive merkurs. I think i prefer the agressive

Back
Top Bottom