After shaving - what do we really need and why?

Since paying more attention to the subject of shaving this is the issue I am still trying to resolve. What does our skin really need after shaving? What happens to our skin that needs attention and what product is best suited to meet those needs? Appreciating that we are all different are there some common needs?
After my recent shave at The Gentleman's Shop, my barber applied an alum bar. This was said to relieve soreness and to heal nicks and cuts. After this a moisturiser was applied to my face. To return oils and nutrients lost during shaving? Then my barber applied a pleasant smelling gel - said to be pleasing but not necessary.
So does all this mean that there are two real needs to be addressed and perhaps one want?
The two essentials being (1) the need for antiseptic healing and soreness relief and (2) the restoration of things lost during shaving?
The want is the natural desire to smell nice after a shave through the application of a pleasing scent. Nice but not necessary.
After shave products address all these needs and wants in their different ways. But is there a best approach?
I am a hi fi fan. I can get a box of tricks that does everything. But for best results you have separate boxes tailor made to do their specific job. So we have a source (CD player , DVD player, tuner etc.) amplifier and speakers.
So we can have multi purpose after shave lotions or balms on the one hand. Or 'separates' for example: alum bar, moisturiser and scent on the other.
I posted this to encourage discussion and would appreciate the learned thoughts of others. I know that at the end of the day we do what we like but I never follow the herd when it's doing things for the wrong reasons.

Fido said:
So does all this mean that there are two real needs to be addressed and perhaps one want?

The two essentials being (1) the need for antiseptic healing and soreness relief and (2) the restoration of things lost during shaving?

That's exactly right.

There are a few products which will give you both of these things to a greater or lesser degree. Aftershaves with glycerin for example (like Musgo Real?).

I have made a few tongue in cheek posts about moisturiser and balms being a bit girly but I reckon they do a great job of putting back what shaving takes out.

When I first got into this lark I used an Alum Block, then a splash of D R Harris Pink aftershave and then a blob of Trumper's Skin Food and my face never felt better - but of course there are less expensive products that do just as good a job.

The "manly man, strong, like Bull" in me decided to do away with all that poncy stuff for a burn your face off splash, which was probably not the right thing to do as I was blighted with dry skin as a result.

Personally I don't think you can go far wrong with the Nivea for Men range of post-shave products.

Great post, I've been wondering the same thing.

I like the minimal approach, I don't like having to use 5 different products on my face every day,

I've tried lots of stuff. Tabac AS, Old Spice AS, Skin Food, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Speick splash, etc.

I like the idea of alcohol splashes, but at the end of the day, they do contain alcohol which is drying and it BURNS (some enjoy this, but your brain is telling you it doesn't - i.e. pain!) I always get redness after using alcohol splash, where there was none before I applied it. Why ruin a good shave? :?

For the last few months I've only been using Men-U face wash and moisturiser which doubles as an aftershave balm. They're fantastic products. I don't see the point of spending loads of money on unnecessary stuff.

John

I suspect that this is a question that man has been concerned with since he first applied a piece of sharpened flint to his face. It's all a matter of personal choice defined by results. I've tried most everything on the market with varying success and the market for aftershave products is huge, from simple witch hazel and alum block up to the latest potion said to make your skin "smooth and youthful looking". I must say that any product said to make my skin youthful looking will have to go some. All I'm looking for is something that heals any razor burn and prepares my face for the next shave. I have found that 99% pure aloe vera gel (available from Holland & Barretts for a couple of quid) performs as an excellent aftershave product and does calm and moisturise my skin, usually followed by some type splash. Whether you apply the splash before or after the gel is optional as is whether you use the splash at all. It's all a matter of choice. I have been sent a sample of Biotherm Homme Ultra Confort ( yes, spelled Confort on the tube) aftershave balm which I am currently using and find to be excellent stuff. I believe that it's not cheap so whether or not I will invest in a tube when the sample is finished is open to question. My advice would be to experiment. It's part of the fun, just as we try different razor/blade combos, soap, creams and superlathers we land on a system that suits us. It's only shaving after all. ;)

I saw some of that Aloe gel in H&B the other day, wondered what that would be like!

Could you use it instead of a moisturiser or balm?

And what about witch hazel? What does that actually do? Would these two products work well together?

It would be a damn sight cheaper than the mass market balms that boast that they contain aloe!

jhclare said:
I saw some of that Aloe gel in H&B the other day, wondered what that would be like!

Could you use it instead of a moisturiser or balm?

And what about witch hazel? What does that actually do? Would these two products work well together?

It would be a damn sight cheaper than the mass market balms that boast that they contain aloe!

I use the Aloe gel as a combined healing agent and moisturiser and it does a good job.
I think that the witch hazel acts as an astringent and has healing properties. Somtimes I mix a little witch hazel with the aloe gel in my palm and then apply and sometimes I mix a little aloe gel with an aftershave of my choice and then apply.

All these methods work well for me.

I mostly use Harris Milk as do-it-all product. It soothes, moisturises and smells good. I apply it on my wet cheeks. One squirt from the pump dispenser is enough: the water on my cheeks will dillute the milk enough as to avoid any feeling of greasiness. This will make a 100ml bottle last a very long time, and what's 20-30 pounds/euros for a whole year of luxury?

When I want a more luxurious AS experience, I'll use Harris pink before the milk. On hot & humid days, Pink will actually do without an extra moisturiser.

I've had tried balms, Skin Food and a/s splashes, and have found that I can use any of them, but their effects seem to be largely dictated by environmental conditions such as air temperature and humidity. When it's warm and more humid, the spashed work well, but when it's less humid and colder the balms work better for me.

I've not really found anything better for the money than the Nivea balms.

Ian

Frederick said:
I mostly use Harris Milk as do-it-all product. It soothes, moisturises and smells good. I apply it on my wet cheeks. One squirt from the pump dispenser is enough: the water on my cheeks will dillute the milk enough as to avoid any feeling of greasiness. This will make a 100ml bottle last a very long time, and what's 20-30 pounds/euros for a whole year of luxury?

When I want a more luxurious AS experience, I'll use Harris pink before the milk. On hot & humid days, Pink will actually do without an extra moisturiser.

I really fancy trying out this Harris milk, I got some of the boots freshwood as I heard it was a cheap alternative but it made my skin break out so I put it up as a prize in the raffle a couple of weeks back.I am still tempted to buy the Harris all the same.Just worried about a reaction to one of the ingredients.I love the look of the bottle too.

on topic, I find it hard to get a moisturising product which doesn't cause me problems.Anything at all nivea gives me painful reactions.L'Occitane Cade A/S Balm,Proraso pre/post, Liz Earle A/S balm are the three I can go to with no problems at all.I do enjoy the A/S splash from proraso.

I have serval blams moisturizers after shaves etc.

My current fav combination is:
Freezing cold water
Moisturizer. its a Ted Baker one with SPF 15 built in, my face soaks this up ost shave so obviously needs it.
Then Joop After Shave.. i do like the burn and think it improves the look of the skin

I also have i hate to say it a moisturizing balm after shave from the gillette fusion range and strangly enough its really good stuff great for travelling as its only a little bottle..

I really want to try an alum block but that will have to wait.

Interesting - many people seem to apply a splash after the balm/moisturiser. I would have thought that this is the wrong way around?

I would have thought the splash would dilute/dissolve the moisturiser and thus make the routine ineffective.

Surely it's best to apply a splash before a balm/moisturiser?

There are some great after shave products out there that have really good moisturising properties, Speick is one of them and I really like their AS.
If you like a tingle instead of a sting it might be worth a try, lovely scent and not drying even though it contains some alcohol.

Frederick said:
jhclare said:
Surely it's best to apply a splash before a balm/moisturiser?

Absolutely. First splash. balm is to replenish moisture which the alcoholic splash has taken away.

That to me seems the wrong way round.

The splash closes the poores of the skin, making it difficult for the skin to soak up the moisturizer.

So surely putting moisturizer on letting the skin soak it up then closing the poors with an AS is the correct way round.

I could be being extremly thick and as usual everyone has there own personal preferences.

Boab said:
I really fancy trying out this Harris milk, I got some of the boots freshwood as I heard it was a cheap alternative but it made my skin break out so I put it up as a prize in the raffle a couple of weeks back.I am still tempted to buy the Harris all the same.Just worried about a reaction to one of the ingredients.I love the look of the bottle too.

If that was my review of the Boots Freshwood I am really sorry :D

The Boots sometimes (very rarely) gives me a little tingle that I never get with the DR Harris.

I currently use either a balm or Trumper Skin Food, with the ocassional use of an alum block. But I am intrigued by the idea of splashes, in particular the Harris Pink and Proraso. However juvenile use of Old Spice and Brut and the stinging memories associated with the experience have continually prevented me from buying Pink or Proraso.

Using splash AND a balm seems odd to me. I have it in my head that they are different products for different needs, and that one should do you once you establish which you prefer. Certainly the expense of having to buy balm and a splash and then cologne/EDT is going to add up? Do they not cancel each other out in some way when used together?

Back
Top Bottom