Aeropress

Having read some of the threads here and having become disillusioned with the inability of my Tassimo machine to make a decent latte, I ordered an Aeropress from Amazon together with a bag of Rave signature blend.

Wow! I am seriously impressed! I know it doesn't make true espresso but the shot of concentrated coffee it does make is great as a basis for longer drinks. I'm currently enjoying a wet latte that tastes better than the one from Starbucks this morning, all from a device that cost £23 including the coffee! I am very pleased, and it has the bonus that I can take it with me on holiday.

themadremmy said:
I have SWMBO tipped off that should she feeling like treating, me an aeropress is on my wishlist. Thinking of adding a hand grinder too.

I made the same suggestion to my good lady a couple of years ago and I was very happy when the following Christmas came around and she'd got me both. I got a Porlex hand grinder, which is the perfect size to fit inside the Aeropress plunger, so it's a really compact solution for coffee on the go.

Certainly beats the nescafe and soap powder option available in the vending machines at work!

Hiya,

Couple years ago I spent 3 weeks with an Aeropress and stopped after finally figuring the results were not ever gonna be better than it was. Strange stuff.

Doesn't taste like a French Press or a simple pour over Melitta type, not like espresso and not like regular brewed coffee. I just didn't get the attraction.

Martin

dodgy said:
Doesn't taste like a French Press or a simple pour over Melitta type, not like espresso and not like regular brewed coffee. I just didn't get the attraction.

I think that the type of bean (or pre-ground blend) that you use is really key. Not saying that it would make the coffee taste like any of the other mechanisms you mention, but I like rich almost choclatey coffee with little acidity and it took me a bit of shopping around before I found the right blends. Now I've got it sorted, I wouldn't be without it.

ChopperHarris said:
dodgy said:

I think that the type of bean (or pre-ground blend) that you use is really key. Not saying that it would make the coffee taste like any of the other mechanisms you mention, but I like rich almost choclatey coffee with little acidity and it took me a bit of shopping around before I found the right blends. Now I've got it sorted, I wouldn't be without it.

Spot on - the key is getting the grind right. I've got 250ml of grinds that are too fine and makes the pressing of the water through the grinds virtually impossible. The build up of pressure is quite impressive! But the coffee, when done right, is excellent, to my taste. Clean tasting. As previous posters mention it's not a true espresso, although there is at least one YouTube video showing how to make an espresso with a cream. After all espresso is hot water through coffee grinds under pressure.

The great thing is that it is simple, doesn't cost much and is pretty portable to boot.

What's not to like?

I've started using the inverted brew too, it's less messy and does give a better result. What I like best about the coffee is the lack of bitterness. I'm not an espresso drinker, but even the initial shot, while too strong for me to drink straight is not bitter. I also like the fact that the coffee is really clean with no grit.

Rave is the only coffee I've tried so far but it's lovely and they offer Aeropress grind as an option. I am considering a Hario hand grinder, although I don't know if the difference would be as noticeable in a latte?

jds said:
ChopperHarris said:

Spot on - the key is getting the grind right. I've got 250ml of grinds that are too fine and makes the pressing of the water through the grinds virtually impossible. The build up of pressure is quite impressive! But the coffee, when done right, is excellent, to my taste. Clean tasting.
What's not to like?

I sort of understand how the grind can make a difference and there were different ones being used. Tried different amounts of brewing time also. Since I like a French roast or Sumatra I stayed with those.

That part about the 'clean taste' is a good description of what the Aeropress does to coffee. It's a sanitized and non offensive result. Not bitter or intrusive, with not much flavor remaining. Just too dull for me since I like something with a little bite and natural oils in the mix.

Oh yeah, almost every other review I have ever seen has been positive.

Martin

Rave, HasBean, Bella Barista, Compass and many more. Lots of decent vendors.

For greens, Bella Barista is superb and they offer bulk buys at very reasonable rates.

themadremmy said:
Any tips for buying beans? I was looking at the York coffee emporium.

I enjoy the Aeropress but I don't think it's the best brewing method to get the most from a bean. Certainly doesn't achieve the balance of flavours you can get from a pour over (V60, Kalita, Gino) or syphon but you do get a great cup of coffee from it with a rich, thick mouthfeel. That alone is why I continue to use it. I use a metal filter in mine. It has a lot going for it, quick, easy cleanup and very portable.

So many brewing methods for the Aeropress it can be bewildering. Currently I do inverted, 16g coffee ground fairly fine (16 on a OE Lido 2, 22 on a Rocky) water at 90c, add around 60ml and stir to soak the grounds (watch out for those dry pockets at the bottom) top up to 250ml, filter and cap on, steep for 1:30, flip and press

This may be something I would be interested in buying. I have a small blade grinder and some JBM beans. Is it any special grind quality for the Aeropress?

Jim

Back
Top Bottom