Advice on using alum.

Good evening gents. At present, after finishing my shave, I rinse with cold water, pat dry, and use lime balm, and other times, nivea balm, or a splash of brut. I was wondering before this, should I use an alum block? Noticed a few guys do this in their routine. I normally dont cut myself, so would I still use it. Also, any preferences on the type, block, stick, etc

Thanks. Bob

I use it on my pits. I have not used anti perspirant for years, no smell whatsoever, the alum kills bacteria in the pits.
edit: I did buy it originally for after the shave.

I always use an alum block. At first it was because I didn't use alcohol based aftershave. I think you really only need one or the other. I believe it's an astringent to slow any bleeding but also an antiseptic.

I've never actually used an alum block. I've looked into buying one but I'm not sure what actual benefits it'll bring. I have a styptic pencil in my armoury which I've only had to use once in 2 months.

I'm watching this thread to see if I can be convinced I need a block!

[emoji482]

The alum Block is useful for weepers and it is antiseptic. Its nothing like a styptic pencil which can reduce blood flow from cuts. Now a days I use it to check my technique. It also reduces the need for a traditional alcohol aftershave. That way I can apply an EDT with no conflicting scent. I do prefer to have some type of astringent after a shave!

It's an Aluminium salt. Current science would suggest that it is safe as it is not absorbed through the skin.........but of course nothing is absolutely certain!

Back
Top Bottom