Advice Needed

I would appreciate advice concerning the straight razor shaves. I have a thick facial hair growth :( often end up cutting myself. Been over a month, I shaved myself :(
Is it really worth getting a straight razor shave, I have never let anyone shave me lol so I feel a bit awkward about it.
How often is a barbershop shave recommended in general (how many times a week)?
I have more questions too, lol. Will ask them later.

Hi Mark. Getting shaved by a barber can be a pleastly luxurious experience, if the practitioner knows his/her stuff; unfortunately, quite a few don't. Also, very few will use a straight — all those I have seen use a shavette, which is a bit different. Even the best shaves I've had from barbers have not been as close as those I get myself using a DE or SE razor. They take a little bit of getting used to, but they're not difficult to use and give very good results, without irritation.

I feel your frustration. I too have a thick dense beard which is wiry, and my skin is pretty sensitive as well. Early in my shaving journey, I similarly remember waiting a month for my beard to grow out, thus allowing my skin beneath to recover. Those were dark times for me. I also feel uncomfortable about someone else shaving me no matter how qualified.

But you'll need to elaborate more i.e. are you using cartridge razors? If not, how long have you been traditional wet shaving? Whats your preparation before shaving? What DE/SE razors/blades you've used so far? Providing us more information will provide you with more accurate/helpful advice, and hopefully not put you too out of pocket in the process either.

Last edited:
+1 on Hedgehog's point. There's a newbie pass around box available that will give you some variety to test with. May be worth getting your name in to the mix for it whilst we see how we can help.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

+1 on Hedgehog's point. There's a newbie pass around box available that will give you some variety to test with. May be worth getting your name in to the mix for it whilst we see how we can help.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Where's the newbie pass around box? Sorry, I am quite new here, and still, exploring.

Where's the newbie pass around box? Sorry, I am quite new here, and still, exploring.

Let @Mbarn know you're interested in this link:

Hi Mark. Getting shaved by a barber can be a pleastly luxurious experience, if the practitioner knows his/her stuff; unfortunately, quite a few don't. Also, very few will use a straight — all those I have seen use a shavette, which is a bit different. Even the best shaves I've had from barbers have not been as close as those I get myself using a DE or SE razor. They take a little bit of getting used to, but they're not difficult to use and give very good results, without irritation.

Thank you. I have some questions and fears about being shaved by the barber. I am really, sorry, I am not at all good with my writing skills in a forum like this but I am glad a forum like this exists for men like me to come and discuss their shaving issues and concerns.
Is it a good idea, to, talk to the barber, beforehand, about your concerns, or, just, say nothing and let him continue with it? ....

Let @Mbarn know you're interested in this link:
Thank you, will do. :)

I feel your frustration. I too have a thick dense beard which is wiry, and my skin is pretty sensitive as well. Early in my shaving journey, I similarly remember waiting a month for my beard to grow out, thus allowing my skin beneath to recover. Those were dark times for me. I also feel uncomfortable about someone else shaving me no matter how qualified.

But you'll need to elaborate more i.e. are you using cartridge razors? If not, how long have you been traditional wet shaving? Whats your preparation before shaving? What DE/SE razors/blades you've used so far? Providing us more information will provide you with more accurate/helpful advice, and hopefully not put you too out of pocket in the process either.

Thank you, Hedgehog. My skin is sensitive too plus the thick dense beard :( I am really confused at this point of time, about, if, or not, I really should make a decision about the barber shave, but, at the same time, I do need to know or learn, the better techniques, either way. Been wet shaving since I was a teenager, no fancy preparations, I use Gillette shaving cream and razor.

Thank you. I have some questions and fears about being shaved by the barber. I am really, sorry, I am not at all good with my writing skills in a forum like this but I am glad a forum like this exists for men like me to come and discuss their shaving issues and concerns.
Is it a good idea, to, talk to the barber, beforehand, about your concerns, or, just, say nothing and let him continue with it? ....
I imagine most Barbers are shave enthusiasts like ourselves and would have no problem discussing the shave with you. You may find it easier to start with DE shaving rather than a straight razor. The associated prep (brush and proper creams/soaps) are a lot better for your skin as well. The newbie pack will help inform you as to what works for you.

I imagine most Barbers are shave enthusiasts like ourselves and would have no problem discussing the shave with you. You may find it easier to start with DE shaving rather than a straight razor. The associated prep (brush and proper creams/soaps) are a lot better for your skin as well. The newbie pack will help inform you as to what works for you.
Thank you so much :) I'll buy a DE razor and follow your advice (will let you know, how it goes). And, I did check the Pre Shave Section, lots of useful information. :) To be honest, I feel, I was missing a lot of good information and help about shaving techniques, until, I started exploring the forum and I truly appreciate all of the responses, I have gotten from all of you, fellow friends. Thank you so very much. I am glad, there, is a place, like this, where, I can talk/discuss shaving issues/concerns/problems with you all. :) Sorry, I am not good, at all, at the writing skills.

Last edited:
That's OK. You're perfectly easy to understand. We've all got the T-Shirt, Book, Movie...

I'd definitely echo Boycie83's post above. If you're still on a Gillette Fusion or similar, simply switching to a DE razor should cause less irritation by default. Although that sounds simple enough, its not. It takes a lot of patience, determination, positivity, and investment. You have to be aware of your limits too, which could take a while to fully understand. It just takes time for your skin to get conditioned to shaving in a new way.

Also just because some guy on YouTube has a great shave with this blade and that razor, it doesn't automatically mean it'll work for you. That guy on YouTube might be able to shave everyday with broken glass, still get a great shave, and never get cut! Its about their context i.e. beard type/skin texture. YouTube is helpful if you know what you're looking for, but always keep your own limits in the forefront of your mind during your searches.

I can shave twice a week, in a three to four day cycle. I've come to terms with that. So my razor and blade on the the first pass have to be able mow down the growth in a way that keeps my skin the least irritated as possible, giving it enough time to recover for the next time I shave. When I get it spot on (I'm still learning too), a day before I shave my bumps if any have receded, so I'm ready to shave the next day.

Back
Top Bottom