Addiction please help :(

Hi guys it's with great sadness I have to right this post but really need some help and wondered if anyone else is struggling with how much shaving stuff they buy. IV been DE shaving for around 5 years and have spent thousands of pounds in this hobbies witch I know call a addiction, my problem is a only really buy high end products as I'm abit of a perfectionist and only like the best, as you know this is very expensive, I now have no job due to the current world situation and have spent all my money on shaving I just can't stop. Please help

Compulsive buying is often the result of underlying mental health problems. The 'high' of the purchase is often used to offset the black dog. If the spending is under control, it's not necessarily harmful providing you recognise why you're doing it. It sounds like you're unable to prioritise and that's not surprising if you're battling something like depression mixed with the anxiety of having no work. If it's not too late, cancel or return your recent purchases. That also does a lot of good for the mind. Also look to get help for the underlying problem or you'll never shake the problem off.

Hi guys it's with great sadness I have to right this post but really need some help and wondered if anyone else is struggling with how much shaving stuff they buy. IV been DE shaving for around 5 years and have spent thousands of pounds in this hobbies witch I know call a addiction, my problem is a only really buy high end products as I'm abit of a perfectionist and only like the best, as you know this is very expensive, I now have no job due to the current world situation and have spent all my money on shaving I just can't stop. Please help
Cut up your credit cards and try to live within your means, the only saving grace is the high end stuff you have brought will be easy enough to sell even if it is at a loss! P.

Hi.

Though I don't spend huge amounts on shaving gear, I've definitely spent more than is necessary over the last 2-3 years. So for 2020 I set myself a personal challenge not to buy any shaving related products. Having taken stock I know I have enough of everything, hardware and software, to last well into next year.

So basically, if you don't need it, don't buy it. Easy to say, I know.

Good luck.

Compulsive buying is often the result of underlying mental health problems. The 'high' of the purchase is often used to offset the black dog. If the spending is under control, it's not necessarily harmful providing you recognise why you're doing it. It sounds like you're unable to prioritise and that's not surprising if you're battling something like depression mixed with the anxiety of having no work. If it's not too late, cancel or return your recent purchases. That also does a lot of good for the mind. Also look to get help for the underlying problem or you'll never shake the problem off.
Thanks alot mate great advice this is so true. I do suffer from depression and have had a very trumatic life so far. And I guess I turn to spending as a distraction I just can't control the urge to buy these new products that keep coming out. I feel like I will never be able to fix this problem, IV been addicted not to just shaving but online shopping in general I'm always buying things

Its a recognised condition, RAD or razor acquisition dissorder, there are virtual meetings , a bit like aa , for this, but you only virtually go, and while you are virtually there you buy on gumtree, ebay or other buyinf formats.
Ok I see never heard of this very interesting

Hi.

Though I don't spend huge amounts on shaving gear, I've definitely spent more than is necessary over the last 2-3 years. So for 2020 I set myself a personal challenge not to buy any shaving related products. Having taken stock I know I have enough of everything, hardware and software, to last well into next year.

So basically, if you don't need it, don't buy it. Easy to say, I know.

Good luck.
Wow well done mate try to keep going im in a horrible place feel like I'm in a deep hole and no way to get out

A really superb post, and much of it describes my buying patterns over the years across a number of different hobbies. I myself also have issues with depression and anxiety, and my hobbies can marry those with elements of OCD which lead to a lot of spurious purchases over the years, and it's taken a long time and a lot of effort to get out that mindset and not just buy for the 'high' of the purchase (and often things I'd not even use that much).

As for shaving, I've found I take the most pleasure when I am just enjoying the shave itself and that's generally with a more limited set up as I have got to know how to fully get the best out of the set up.

A really superb post, and much of it describes my buying patterns over the years across a number of different hobbies. I myself also have issues with depression and anxiety, and my hobbies can marry those with elements of OCD which lead to a lot of spurious purchases over the years, and it's taken a long time and a lot of effort to get out that mindset and not just buy for the 'high' of the purchase (and often things I'd not even use that much).

As for shaving, I've found I take the most pleasure when I am just enjoying the shave itself and that's generally with a more limited set up as I have got to know how to fully get the best out of the set up.
Thanks for your comment, sorry to hear you have struggled with depression and anxiety also, it's a very hard life, and I struggle to cope so looking for things to buy is a distraction. Seems like you have done so well in controlling your problems well done I dunno how you do it. What is your current set up ?

Thanks for your comment, sorry to hear you have struggled with depression and anxiety also, it's a very hard life, and I struggle to cope so looking for things to buy is a distraction. Seems like you have done so well in controlling your problems well done I dunno how you do it. What is your current set up ?

Don't worry about his set up. This will just lead you to a different rabbit hole. You need to try and appreciate your own set up.
I certainly have more than enough to last me for many years including software. I am still looking at brushes and soap even though I do not need them. Just look at what you have and if you are getting a decent shave, enjoy.
I have an expensive razor, but the best shave I get is from a PIF that I recently won. I am enjoying it immensely( Thank you @Blademonkey ). Don't look for any excuse to try and justify a spending. Re-examine your values. Spend more time with family and friends etc...
Good luck! I hope you get out of this dark hole. Certainly most of us have been there at some point in time.

Don't worry about his set up. This will just lead you to a different rabbit hole. You need to try and appreciate your own set up.
I certainly have more than enough to last me for many years including software. I am still looking at brushes and soap even though I do not need them. Just look at what you have and if you are getting a decent shave, enjoy.
I have an expensive razor, but the best shave I get is from a PIF that I recently won. I am enjoying it immensely( Thank you @Blademonkey ). Don't look for any excuse to try and justify a spending. Re-examine your values. Spend more time with family and friends etc...
Good luck! I hope you get out of this dark hole. Certainly most of us have been there at some point in time.
Yhh that's true.. I just never seem to be satisfied always want more, it's like a get a dopine rush from buying things I used to be a ex gamble, smoker and drug addict so my brains abit messed up :( I dunno how to quit and just enjoy what I have for example IV just wanted IAMCDB video on YouTube now I want to buy this soap, supposed to smell great and a great performer

Back
Top Bottom