A month of progress

Wom

Just thought id check in and give my experiences. After years of mainly having a beard, faffing with electric razors that dont seem to work for me,clogging carts or just trimmed stubble i decided im nearly 30 i best learn how to shave properly so ive been wet shaving for about a month now with de blade shavettes my first shave was with the dark stag 'kamisori' loaded with half a feather blade (why this bold choice for my first shave? I was waiting for my parker and derby blades to arrive for what seemed an age so i got impatient and purchased the dark stag 'folding kamisori') using mwf as the lather although ill use that term loosely.. went quite well a few nicks but all in all i was happy.

but then the next 3 or 4 shaves that followed using the derby blades got progressively worse leaving my face red raw i had to give my face a break but found that after a few days even just attempting to lather the fat it would bring my face up in a red rash so following advice i swapped out the mwf for palmolive and sampling different blades my shave has now come on leaps and bounds.
today marks a month of shaving with a shavette style razor and my most comfortable shave to date what have i learnt.. dont chase bbs straight off the bat instead focus on getting the technique right and most importantly enjoy this new ritual that i may never have found without forums like this guiding the way.

Just thought id check in and give my experiences. After years of mainly having a beard, faffing with electric razors that dont seem to work for me,clogging carts or just trimmed stubble i decided im nearly 30 i best learn how to shave properly so ive been wet shaving for about a month now with de blade shavettes my first shave was with the dark stag 'kamisori' loaded with half a feather blade (why this bold choice for my first shave? I was waiting for my parker and derby blades to arrive for what seemed an age so i got impatient and purchased the dark stag 'folding kamisori') using mwf as the lather although ill use that term loosely.. went quite well a few nicks but all in all i was happy.

but then the next 3 or 4 shaves that followed using the derby blades got progressively worse leaving my face red raw i had to give my face a break but found that after a few days even just attempting to lather the fat it would bring my face up in a red rash so following advice i swapped out the mwf for palmolive and sampling different blades my shave has now come on leaps and bounds.
today marks a month of shaving with a shavette style razor and my most comfortable shave to date what have i learnt.. dont chase bbs straight off the bat instead focus on getting the technique right and most importantly enjoy this new ritual that i may never have found without forums like this guiding the way.
Welcome to TSR and it's good to hear it's working out for you.

There's a newbie pass around box with a few products in it that you can experiment with as well - but remember that you may already have found your shaving nirvana!

@Boycie83 cheers im currently using a very minimal rotation but with my birthday coming up i may have to politely pass on the pass around as i may be swamped with shaving goods anyway. Thats if my hints have been loud enough

Welcome to TSR.
....today marks a month of shaving with a shavette style razor and my most comfortable shave to date what have i learnt.. dont chase bbs straight off the bat instead focus on getting the technique right and most importantly enjoy this new ritual that i may never have found without forums like this guiding the way.
Excellent progress. Chasing BBS causes a lot of problems sometimes.

Shortcuts are not for the shaving game, time is your friend in the long run, after a year you will see massive improvements and will look back to what you started with, not be long before a straight becomes a thing of beauty to you and you will wander off down the rabbit hole :)

Another nice sunday morning shave im finding the extra time i have in the weekend allows a much nicer shave with less irritation then my weekday after work shaves.even though i added a little weeper under my nose! i didnt like that bit of skin anyway..i find i am really liking the gillette silver blues with my parker combination even used mwf this morning and managed to get a lather that lasted each pass quite nicely.

not be long before a straight becomes a thing of beauty to you and you will wander off down the rabbit hole :)
Well the shavette was a little experiment to see if id like straight shaving without the expense of a straight.and as its going well I may have been eyeing up a few straights new and vintage i hear that billyji1 on ebay is the place to start with his shave readys o_O.. maybe not quite yet

Welcome to TSR.

Excellent progress. Chasing BBS causes a lot of problems sometimes.
Cheers @invicta ive found this shave ive stumbled upon the majority being id say a dfs with completely unitentional bbs on my cheeks. The less i focus on the result the better it gets :ROFLMAO:

Two more good shaves with the parker 34r using the gsb blade. i now have a block of osma alum and found only irritation to the left side of my neck but not drastic just need to figure that area now my neck hairs swirl all over the place making wtg quite tricky with a shavette. How do you lot tackle neck hair/ skin stretching? Ive started lathering one side of my neck at a time to give me something to grip on to so i can pull the skin around.

I just googled Parker 34r and discovered they can be picked up for only £14...!

This is going to be hard to resist.

PS: I've a horrible feeling I'm allergic to MWF too. Only a few weeks in to my DE shaving career, I've just about figured out how to work up a lather, and now I may have to abandon it.

Back
Top Bottom