1912 or Streamline

So weeks down the line with SE shaving a few thoughts from me. Started with the 1912 very impressed then saw the Streamline and fell in love with it. Aquired a superb boxed Streamline from Merjwie, as I say looked fantastic in the flesh and made it my go to razor.
Then came the odd part the superior made streamline, felt great in the hand made beautifully and very solidly, started to give me the feeling all was not as good as it could be, when Tazz mentioned he thought the 1912 shaved better. So the next shave I got out the basic looking thin metaled 1912 SE, what a revelation, as Tazz stated it is a far better shaver than the superbly crafted Streamline.
So there you go I now use the 1912 while the Streamline sits and looks good.
Pete

The "1912". Is it a Gem or an Ever-Ready? Or are they the same animal under different names?

I fancy trying one. I've used a Gem G Bar in the past. Anyone know how the 1912 compares with the G Bar?

Manoflamancha said:
The "1912". Is it a Gem or an Ever-Ready? Or are they the same animal under different names?

I fancy trying one. I've used a Gem G Bar in the past. Anyone know how the 1912 compares with the G Bar?

The 1912 is an Ever Ready........never used a Gem or G Bar
Pete

Well you talked me into... Just went to eBay and bought a 1912. I hope they're as fantastic as you say. While I'm waiting for delivery what make blade should I buy? I have a box of old GEM blades that someone sent me with a DE I bought and the only others are no name drug store ones?
Ideas pleases!

Johnus said:
Well you talked me into... Just went to eBay and bought a 1912. I hope they're as fantastic as you say. While I'm waiting for delivery what make blade should I buy? I have a box of old GEM blades that someone sent me with a DE I bought and the only others are no name drug store ones?
Ideas pleases!

Connaughts sell the Gem in 100 blade boxes S/S ptfe coated I believe. Most are getting between 3 to 5 shaves from 1 blade. I bought 200 then thought what the heck and got another 400 so about 15 years worth now in total :angel::angel:
Pete

Sign me up. I'm not sure why, but I cleaned off the old 'ever-ready' and 'gem' last nite and I'll give it a try this morning. Also brought out the pre-save and styptic pencil too! I'll try the ever-ready 1st.

I went to 'bestshave.net' in Turkey last nite. They had SE's : 100 Derby for $3.90 US and 120 Shark for $5.60 US. They ship right away and are usually delivered in 5to7 days. So I hope I'm set for the year!

Well, moved over to SE this AM. After all that I read here I thought I'd try the ever-ready, that I had never used before(had the gem micromatice cleaned up and waiting on the sidelines just in case)
Wow can see why the ever - ready looked brand new! 5 passes later it still sounded like I was running a bad phonograph needle over a bad 78! Thought it was the blade so I switched it over to the micromatice. Major difference... 2 passes and I had I nice shave!
Not sure what model the E-R is, it's closed comb, and only I'd is Ever-Ready Brklyn, NY. Hope it wasn't a 1912!
Good news is that I'll be adding the gem micromatice to my rotation.
Thanks for the incentive to try them.

man of leisure said:
Manoflamancha said:

The 1912 is an Ever Ready........never used a Gem or G Bar
Pete

I tried the G Bar and just could not get on with it. It would not shave. Where the 1912 is a great shaver. So chalk & cheese IMO.

I am fast coming to the conclusion the the 1912 is simply the nicest to use SE, having just tried a 1924 Ever Ready and even that is not a patch on the 1912.
I am of the opinion you cannot go wrong with a 1912.
Regards,
Pete

Back
Top Bottom