£50 whisky suggestions

Hi there,

Do you have any existing favourites or preferences to use for reference as you probably are aware whiskey has soooo many styles and flavour profiles....

Hi there,

Do you have any existing favourites or preferences to use for reference as you probably are aware whiskey has soooo many styles and flavour profiles....

i pretty much like anything. i am quite fond of peaty ones but i already have a few of those put away for christmas, so probably something easy drinking, but im open to suggestions :) at the moment the ones ive been looking at are glenfarclas 15 and craigellachie 13.

Last edited:
Lagavulin 16 is a must-try if you haven't already.

Glenfarclas 15 is excellent, it's one of the last family-owned distilleries and I remember reading an interview with the current manager who said that the 15 was bottled at 46% “because (that's) how my granddad liked it'. Taste wise it's a sherry bomb rather like Glendronach 15 which is also excellent if you like sherried whisky.

Lagavulin 16 is a must-try if you haven't already.

Glenfarclas 15 is excellent, it's one of the last family-owned distilleries and I remember reading an interview with the current manager who said that the 15 was bottled at 46% “because (that's) how my granddad liked it'. Taste wise it's a sherry bomb rather like Glendronach 15 which is also excellent if you like sherried whisky.

the lagavulin is definitely on my list. i had a glass in a hotel a few years ago and wasnt blown away by it, but i really cant get a proper judgement on that :)

I usually go for islay whisky and even visited islay this summer well worth the trip Laphroaig Lagavulin and Ardbeg are my favourites and are all made within 3 miles of each other had a great day doing tastings at all 3

Just ordered this from Amazon only tried the normal Highland Park but enjoyed it so thought this sounded a good buy it was £55 or there abouts might have to plan a trip to Orkney next summer 4FD8F4D7-1AE7-4207-9CC6-850D09C53F2D.jpeg

4FD8F4D7-1AE7-4207-9CC6-850D09C53F2D.jpeg
ODIN, THE VALFATHER
Odin, the Valfather – father of the slain and the Aesir, the very Norse gods themselves. It is his name that graces the end of the Highland Park Viking Legends trilogy; a bright, fruity and complex single malt from the wilds of Orkney, in the long Viking tradition of Scotland's northernmost distillery.
Crafted using whisky matured exclusively in refill casks, Valfather is also Highland Park's most heavily peated release to date.

My suggestions in this bracket are Laga 16 which has been mentioned, Ardbeg Uigedail (£10 more expensive), Ardbeg 10 or Talisker 10.

They are all Islay (peaty/smokey)- if you would like something more approachable try Michter's Straight Rye- superb bourbon.

Macallan Gold has become my favourite easy drinking Whisky of late. Very lovely.

Other than that always Talisker for me (original and un-messed with version). I discovered it on a trip to Stornaway in the 90's in the Hotel bar (also discovered Trawler Rum on the same trip, but thats an altogether other story .... )

Apropos Highland Park, i remember the days about 30 years ago when the original was a bit of an unknown bargain to be had - trouble was you only really found it in airport duty free shops back then - i tried many times and just couldn't find it in any normal retail store

The Scottish Malt Whisky Society will happily take your money for whiskies you can't buy anywhere else. You'll be lucky to get away with only £50 but at or around 60% ABV it's better value than it appears. After diluting down to normal strength you end up with a bottle-and-a-half from every bottle.

Back
Top Bottom