August Acquisitions

The razor looks very familiar. I had one arrive this morning!

You guys just need the forks to match.

s-l300.jpg

Have fun! I hope you enjoy it.

Arrived today (another) Personna Tech-clone head on a Wade & Butcher/Durham Duplex handle.

s-l1600.jpg

Duplex head also included, although this one is not so hot ... the Dorset is a much nicer Durham razor.

These handles are really nicely weighted ... good balance held in the middle on the knurling or "pommelled" if that's your thing.

Last edited:
£9.99 charity shop purchase. A nice Ever Ready (I presume a 1912) with I think a Grecian handle which is in exceptional condition and looks to have been renovated and replated. Small chunk missing from the Bakelite box, but hey you can't have everything.

View attachment 58225

View attachment 58226
Looks like a British 1912 with chainlink handle. Made in the 1930s probably.
Under a tenner with the box is a good price.
It's not been renovated or replated. That's what they look like after a good clean.
Wonderful razors. I used one yesterday.

Looks like a British 1912 with chainlink handle. Made in the 1930s probably.
Under a tenner with the box is a good price.
It's not been renovated or replated. That's what they look like after a good clean.
Wonderful razors. I used one yesterday.

Thank you for the information. If that is how they look then all I can think is 'what a quality item it is' . I don't think you will see many modern razors looking like this 90 years down the line

20200811_093903.jpg20200811_093903.jpg20200811_093834.jpg20200811_093823.jpg

I had an itch I had to scratch regarding a Single edge razor. Did a bit of research and found the easiest and cheapest way into SE shaving was a 1912 GEM or Ever Ready razor.
So I managed to snag this on the Bay. Also ordered some PAL blades. Really looking forward to using it. Surprised at how solid and heavy it feels. It really does feel like a tool and not an ornament. And in a way I'm looking forward to using a much smaller selection of blades.

Attachments

• 20200811_093853.jpg
    20200811_093853.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 6
Cool! You're in for a treat @Dazednconfused ... if you find those PAL blades a little raw (the ones I bought from eBay recently do indeed make for a brisk shave) don't write the whole thing off, but try some of the stainless GEM/Personna brand.

Yes, I'm really excited about using it and I'm using the PAL blades as,again, it was the quickest and cheapest way to get single edge blades. I want to start to develop a technique and then place an order with Connaught Shaving for the GEM Stainless blades.
Can't wait!

Hello friend! :)

Now just to go through the blades that I have and see what works best in it.

The finish on this is brilliant. A fantastically well made bit of kit.
View attachment 58244
View attachment 58245View attachment 58246View attachment 58247
:mad: :eek::mad::eek::mad::eek::mad::eek::mad::eek: ...'nuff said! (other than I'm posting 'Angry' emoticon on all posts that post a like or make positive comments on your Rex Ambarsedor that you clearly only got in order to wind me up!) ...now definitely 'nuff said :mad:

Yes, I'm really excited about using it and I'm using the PAL blades as,again, it was the quickest and cheapest way to get single edge blades. I want to start to develop a technique and then place an order with Connaught Shaving for the GEM Stainless blades.
Can't wait!

I found the eBay PAL blades totally unusable... like, blunt fresh out the pack bad. Closest thing I can compare it to is a 1930s Gillette Blue I once tried for a laugh.

As Paul says, if you find them as bad as I did, don't give up on the 1912, just buy the good Personna blades from Connaught.

Back
Top Bottom