Do you agree with this statement...?

Uld
I just couldn't get on with the FB. Got 2 slims, one a birthdate H3. They aren't aesthetically perfect, but in my humble, best everyday shavers. My razor was 58 today.... So was I (y);)

Happy Birthday to you and your razor. I hope you bought it a birthday card and will take it out for a meal tonight.

Grown men with more money than brains who have turned shaving into a perverted fetish!! If they ever have a convention I swear they will all strip down, smear lather on one another and shave away like drunken base Romans!!

let-the-games-begin.jpg

The "Modern Age" of safety razors, at least IMHO, begins in 1963 when Gillette started using zamak for the Tech. I think that is a good reference point.

Yep, straights were the old way, wedge blades and safety razors are the modern take on shaving. Crappy razors started in the early '60's, with black handled this, and plastic that, and zamak as the final nail in the coffin.
The "Modern Age" of safety razors, at least IMHO, begins in 1963 when Gillette started using zamak for the Tech. I think that is a good reference point.

I suppose its like anything you buy - do you ascribe to the philosophy of "Buy cheap, buy twice" and so pay a good amount of money for a quality item that will last a lifetime and have a resale or inheritance value ?

Or do you think it doesn't matter so long as it does the job for a reasonable amount of time before it breaks / gets stolen / gets damaged anyway / gets binned in favour of something else.

Razors, knives, watches, hand tools , etc,etc

I suppose its like anything you buy - do you ascribe to the philosophy of "Buy cheap, buy twice" and so pay a good amount of money for a quality item that will last a lifetime and have a resale or inheritance value ?
Buy cheap, buy twice. That's what I do with vintage razors.
I have two Kampfe Stars, three 1912s, two Micromatics and two Eversharp Fashion razors.
All under twenty quid, some under a tenner.
All will last a lifetime (and I have spares if they shouldn't), not sure about resale or inheritance value though.
:p

Buy cheap, buy twice. That's what I do with vintage razors.
I have two Kampfe Stars, three 1912s, two Micromatics and two Eversharp Fashion razors.
All under twenty quid, some under a tenner.
All will last a lifetime (and I have spares if they shouldn't), not sure about resale or inheritance value though.
:p
Nice to hear about some vintage razors other than the Gillette Tech. Are there any from that list you'd recommend to someone new to vintage?

Back
Top Bottom