April 2020 Acquisitions.

A nice delivery today. I spent last week pondering whether buying this stuff was the right thing to do in the current climate but then I realised that more amateur reviews I put on this forum for you guys to read, the less time you'll spend on xhamster. I'm doing my civic duty!
View attachment 53305

Ah XHamster. It's proving to be my main distraction in between meals right now. Well, if I'm to be honest it's a lie as I don't really have the energy but if ever there was a time when the nation needs masturbation jokes now is the time.

I've never used a Razorock or Goodfellas soaps/splashes. Are the soaps soft croap like ones or are they firm?

I've never had a Campbeltown Whisky before, would it be possible to ask what I am missing? I'm not a Single Malt aficionado but having a look at the different regions for SM's I've never had one from there or a Lowland SM.

*hangs head in shame*
The Longrow's lovely if you like peaty whisky but are put off by the Islay peat monsters like some Laphroaigs, Ardbeg or Lagauvilin (personally, I'm not). The smoke is still there, but it's alongside a rich, oily sweetness ( I should stress I'm not affiliated in any way with the distillery).

Springbank distillery in Campbeltown makes three whiskies; the triple distilled Hazelburn (unpeated), Springbank (slight peat) and the Longrow (very peaty). The latter, the distillery claims, is limited to about 100 casks.

The Campbeltown whiskies (a region in itself) have a nice maritime saltiness about them too. My next project is the Springbank 10 y.o., once this is all over (the virus, not the Longrow).

Last edited:
The Longrow's lovely if you like peaty whisky but are put off by the Islay peat monsters like some Laphroaigs, Ardbeg or Lagauvilin (personally, I'm not). The smoke is still there, but it's alongside a rich, oily sweetness ( I should stress I'm not affiliated in any way with the distillery).

Springbank distillery in Campbeltown makes three whiskies; the triple distilled Hazelburn (unpeated), Springbank (slight peat) and the Longrow (very peaty). The latter, the distillery claims, is limited to about 100 casks.

The Campbeltown whiskies (a region in itself) have a nice maritime saltiness about them too. My next project is the Springbank 10 y.o., once this is all over (the virus, not the Longrow).

Sigh. I think I need to get myself a bottle of this. I think I might post up a thread elsewhere asking for a few more recommendations, I might place an order for it and a Lowland SM (any tips?).

Thanks for the info, I'm a fan of the peaty smoky beast and the combination of it and the other qualities you describe make it sound right up my street.

Ah XHamster. It's proving to be my main distraction in between meals right now. Well, if I'm to be honest it's a lie as I don't really have the energy but if ever there was a time when the nation needs masturbation jokes now is the time.

I've never used a Razorock or Goodfellas soaps/splashes. Are the soaps soft croap like ones or are they firm?
If I may draw your attention to this expertly written thread, you'll see some pictures of the original GFS soaps I tested:

Similarly to those, each of these new soaps is different in colour and texture. I'd describe them as croaos with some almost coming close to a very dense cream.

I'll get that thread updated at some point this week with some pictures. I thing the GFS soaps offer a lot of bang for your buck. Of I remember correctly, I think @karlc may have already tried the Re Nero soap.

Sigh. I think I need to get myself a bottle of this. I think I might post up a thread elsewhere asking for a few more recommendations, I might place an order for it and a Lowland SM (any tips?).

Thanks for the info, I'm a fan of the peaty smoky beast and the combination of it and the other qualities you describe make it sound right up my street.
The only Lowland I've tried (and I should hang my head in shame here, coming from Edinburgh) is Glenkinchie. It's distilled not far from here. The Lowlands tend to be that bit lighter; Glenkinchie is nice and grassy and quite sweet too.

Auchentoshan is another Lowland (west of here, nearer Glasgow, I think). It offers various bottlings; American Oak, Classic, Triple Wood etc. Regrettably, I've yet to try them. I tend toward extremes; peaty, boggy ones from Islay, or the Islands; and sherry bombs from Speyside; Aberlour, Glenfarclas and so on.

Last edited:
If I may draw your attention to this expertly written thread, you'll see some pictures of the original GFS soaps I tested:

Similarly to those, each of these new soaps is different in colour and texture. I'd describe them as croaos with some almost coming close to a very dense cream.

I'll get that thread updated at some point this week with some pictures. I thing the GFS soaps offer a lot of bang for your buck. Of I remember correctly, I think @karlc may have already tried the Re Nero soap.

Yeh Ive used Re Nero. Im sort of wondering if GFS soaps are made by Extro as I noticed the Extro pirata soap is pretty similar to GFS stardust. I have quite a few others of their soaps too

Yeh Ive used Re Nero. Im sort of wondering if GFS soaps are made by Extro as I noticed the Extro pirata soap is pretty similar to GFS stardust. I have quite a few others of their soaps too
Extro is owned by a chap called Don Donato and he's a standalone entity now. I believe he was responsible for helping with the RazoRock and GFS soaps though in terms of scents and makeup so that would make sense.

Yes, I remember that review thread - great review and pictures. The GFS soaps look great actually, short ingredient lists as well.

The only Lowland I've tried (and I should hang my head in shame here, coming from Edinburgh) is Glenkinchie. It's distilled not far from here. The Lowlands tend to be that bit lighter; Glenkinchie is nice and grassy and quite sweet too.

Auchentoshan is another Lowland (west of here, nearer Glasgow, I think). It offers various bottlings; American Oak, Classic, Triple Wood etc. Regrettably, I've yet to try them. I tend toward extremes; peaty, boggy ones from Islay, or the Islands; and sherry bombs from Speyside; Aberlour, Glenfarclas and so on.

Thanks for the info, it's all new to me! Aberlour's one of my favourites, I'll check out the others as well.

How does the chronos, pino and shibusa 2 smell?
The Chronos smelt instantly familiar so I tested it against one of my EDTs - it smells of PR 1 Million. I checked the notes online and they are indeed the same (ish).

The Pino is interesting as it's a combination of a minty menthol smell with the fresh note of fir. It's also unusual as it comes in a 150ml size green container compared to the normal 100ml black version.

I need to play with the Shibusa 2 today. I can't put my finger on its smell. It looks like chocolate and has a cocoa note to it from the tub but GFS describe it as similar to AdP Classic.

How does the chronos, pino and shibusa 2 smell?
Did a couple of test lathers this morning.

The Shibusa 2 seems to have the same notes as the RazoRock XXX aftershave which is also AdP inspired. The scent seems very light though - that could be because I was comparing it to an ASL though.

The Pino is nice. It's like a slightly more complex version of the Rasozero Spiffero and it shares the same tub size and shape. Seems to confirm the consensus that TFS make the soaps.

Back
Top Bottom