SOTD: 4th of April to 10th April of 2020

Date:- 07 April 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Nordost
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C-R3 / Kai Stainless #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)

Tuesday 7th April

Semogue 740 Badger - Signature Soaps Sandalwood (Glycerine) - MingShi 2000S/Wilkinson Sword (UK) -Old Spice Musk.

A little time back I asked @BrianH about the glycerine soaps which are in his product range.He explained that they were bought by long standing customers who did not want to move to his premium range. He agreed to send me a (rather large) sample on the understanding that it would be a 'step down' from his normal offerings. well.....it still performs really really well....and the scent is to die for! Thanks Brian.

3 passes for a perfect finish!

07/04/20
Pre: Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush: Alpha Outlaw Titanium G4 Synth
Soap: OSP Spice Road
Razor: Rex Ambassador Adjustable #2.5 & #3 ATG
Blade: Polsilver Lodz (5)
Post Shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, Tony'schins Bay Rum Astringent
Balm: Tony'schins Bay Rum Argan Oil
Aftershave: OSP Spice Road

Wk15 (8).JPG
3 passes for a DFS+ finish, i have pushed the Polsilver Lodz as i needed to see if it would "go off" so 5 and out as i could feel a difference mid shave
Upped to #3 to finish off.
A nice post shave leaving me feeling and smelling good.
Stay safe and enjoy your Day All.

Last edited:

View attachment 53292
3 passes for a DFS+ finish, i have pushed the Polsilver Lodz as i needed to see if it would "go off" so 5 and out as i could feel a difference mid shave
Love the Brush and Razor

View attachment 53292

I'm intrigued by your Bay Rum Astringent and Balm - how do you mix them ? Which ingredients?

P

@Satanfriendly I enjoyed your post today (whatever day it is). Very amusing.

Pre - Trumpers Sandalwood Skin Food
Cream - Trumpers Eucris
Brush - Traditional Shave Co
Razor - Gillette Tech (I think)
Blade - Feather (2)
Post - Alum, followed by Trumpers Sandalwood Skin Food

Good shave. Until yesterday I hadn't used the Gillette tech for years. It does the job, but I prefer my other razors. Probably the reason it was in the bottom of my drawer. Mind you, its so mild even with a feather blade, I'd risk doing my sack with it.

IMG_7531.JPG

Love the Brush and Razor
I'm intrigued by your Bay Rum Astringent and Balm - how do you mix them ? Which ingredients?

P

Thanks Russ, I do enjoy using them

@Paul L
I am quite lucky to have skin about as sensitive as a blacksmiths apron and found I can tolerate about 25 drops of EO to 100ml of mixer.
The astringent is mainly witch hazel, any cheapo will do boots own make or local chemist, i have done a 50/50 with cheap vodka and white rum added to witch hazel and it worked well. You need to shake vigorously before application though. The Argan oil is just that. Either 100% or mixed with a bit coconut oil about 90/10 ratio works for me, again drops of Essential oil to your liking.
Homemade Bay Rum Aftershave was a good experience but did not turn out as well as expected. The recipe I used was from the 1800's I think. I got it off the net.
20200407_135714.jpg20200407_135746.jpg20200407_135812.jpg

Last edited:
Tue 7th April.

RazoRock Syn. 22mm
Arran Aromatics-Bay Citrus
ER !924 + S/S Handle
Gem S/S [ 1 ]
Tuff Green A/S Lotion.

Working my way through my my favourite Vintage SEs. Today it is the careworn ER1924 that despite the looks, is still a great Razor, especially on this non stock handle. Believe or not, with a fresh blade it was actually quite a smooth yet enjoyable Shave, with a good close finish.

IMG_0661.jpg

Prep: Bath
Pre: Proraso Red
Soap: MWF
Brush: Big Jock Silvertip
Scuttle: QShave
Razor/Blade: Rex Ambassador/Polsilver SI (6)
ASL: Tabac
ASB: 1912 Classic

Three pass + cleanup shave with the Rex tackling 1 days growth. Initially set at 2 and dialled down to 0.5 for ATG moustache before ramping it up to 4 for cleanup on neck. Uneventful and near BBS finish. E875C1E3-3774-446C-AC42-F840724D23B0.jpeg

12110E8F-F72A-4DB3-BC7A-B18AADF703E1.jpeg2BE8EF30-0291-4CC2-9BBE-B7DF56BE8AA5.jpeg64171062-9893-4E06-A5C4-E77512992625.jpeg

SOTD Tuesday 04/07/2020

I had an exemplary shave this morning. One of the members at a large shave site on FB suggested, after my raving about the great shave my new General with a Feather Super loaded delivered, that I should try the Super in my Vector. Now, mind you, I was quite content with the Vector and a Schick Proline Blade which I found sharper than the regular Feather. It shaved every bit as well as my Shake Sharps, which hands down were my best head shavers. Every razor in my rotation must be capable of providing a head and a face shave. The new General with a Feather Super provided a shave superior to my Shake Sharps. So this morning I loaded the Vector with a Feather Super and proceeded to have at it.

I must say, however, before getting into the specifics of the shave, that my new brush from Evan (@MrEE) is a superb performer. The knurling is just perfect, it never slips, and the hybrid Badger/Boar knot has great backbone. I really enjoy using it. It generated a very rich, yogurty lather from my Pannacrema Nuavia Blu. Being a nasal barbarian, I can't really comment on the particular components of the scent, but boy, it sure smelled good! The one problem I have with this soap, which I really enjoy, is that like Tabac, the scent is so strong that it tends to ignite fragrance allergy migraines in SWMBO. After informing her mightiness that I planned to use it for my shave this morning, she wisely decided to work in her office with the door closed. Now, four hours post shave all is well. The scent has faded. Yes, the child bride, being a decade younger, still works, while her erstwhile, shaky spouse devotes himself to experiencing and reporting on all things shaving. Now, back to the shave...

The head on the Vector is rather dramatically smaller than the General, and the weight distribution in hand differs. See the pictures comparing both razors. Please excuse the poor photography. Thank goodness for muscle memory! The Feather Super is so wonderfully sharp, that when combined with negative pressure, just sweeps away the whiskers. The first WTG pass was every bit as good as my forays with the General. The cut is completely inaudible and the strokes feel like one is weightlessly brushing the lather away. I could have stopped with an excellent DFS++ shave after that first pass, but decided to lather up again and buff away ATG the very slight roughness remaining on noggin and neck after the first pass. I finished the shave with Aqua Velva AS (Spanish version) and Pre de Provence AS Balm. All in all, after one and a half passes, a velveteen feeling scalp and face lands me solidly in BBS land. I feel clean, velvety smooth, refreshed and ready for another day of sheltering in place. Stay safe and healthy out there!

RAZOR: Blackland Vector
BLADE: Feather Super AC
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: @MeEE Aluminum Handle Hybrid Badger/Boar
SOAP: Pannacrema Nuavia Blu
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH, Aqua Velva AS Splash and finished with Pre de Provence AS Balm with Shea Butter

Thanks Russ, I do enjoy using them

@Paul L
I am quite lucky to have skin about as sensitive as a blacksmiths apron and found I can tolerate about 20 drops of EO to 100ml of mixer.
The astringent is mainly witch hazel, any cheapo will do boots own make or local chemist, i have done a 50/50 with cheap vodka and white rum added to witch hazel and it worked well. You need to shake vigorously before application though. The Argan oil is just that. Either 100% or mixed with a bit coconut oil about 90/10 ratio works for me, again drops of Essential oil to your liking.
Homemade Bay Rum Aftershave was a good experience but did not turn out as well as expected. The recipe I used was from the 1800's I think. I got it off the net.
View attachment 53295View attachment 53297View attachment 53298
Update:-
It got me thinking about my last splash so I checked it. Looks and smells ok.

20200407_165512.jpg

Recipe
20200407_170243.jpg
I might have to give it a whirl soon
T

Tuesday AM 2020-04-07

Rooney 3/3 Ivory Finest (26/60)
Coate's Sandalwood shaving cream (vintage)
Wolfman WR1-SB Titanium/Stork Advoco Titanium
Schick Plus Platinum (6)
Cigar Aficionado aftershave
vBLeHSo.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom