Ever Ready 1912 Question

I know there's a few 1912 experts on here and I was hoping one of you could shed some light?

Just received a new 1912 (yes "new" in as much as it was unused!) and I've discovered that the handle isn't detachable. I had no plans to swap handles anyway, but the ones I've seen online in the past have had handles that unscrew.

Were there certain models that came with fixed handles or is mine "defective" - in the loosest sense of the word, it shaves like a dream! :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

They all unscrew as far as I know, can you show it please?
Yeah, sure.. I've tried to capture the top of the thread
e16a0781b1747bfe8515db0bf0e598d3.jpg

What happens when you try to unscrew, is it stuck fast or does it just spin around? P.
Stuck fast. I've applied quite a bit of pressure, but obviously haven't gone at it full throttle for fear of damage.

I guess if it hasn't been touched for 60/70 years, maybe it's just "stuck"? Could WD-40 be my friend?

Stuck fast. I've applied quite a bit of pressure, but obviously haven't gone at it full throttle for fear of damage.

I guess if it hasn't been touched for 60/70 years, maybe it's just "stuck"? Could WD-40 be my friend?

Yes, give it a good soak in WD40 and see if that helps, once soaked try to do it up and then try to slack it off. P.

WD 40 and let it sit for a while. It's probably a bit corrosion, and steep in hot then cold, basically expanding and contracting the thread, gently work the thread back and forth then repeat. It should go.

Thanks for all your advice guys. A liberal dose of WD-40 and some extra confidence knowing that it SHOULD undo, did the trick.

It had been sat untouched in a stockroom since the 1950's, so I think it was literally just a case of age taking its toll!

That handle style came in both heavy steel? and lightweight aluminium. Given the shine on the handle, I'd say it was the former.
Interesting. The weight and feel remind me very much of my Fatip Picolo, which I believe is a brass handle. Just weighed both handles and the Picolo comes in at 43g compared to the 1912 at 40g, so you're probably right with the "heavy steel" conclusion.. [emoji1360]

To concur, my heavy handles in this style are 40g whereas the lightweight are 16g. By way of comparison, the more common British chain link handle is 38g.

I'm not absolutely sure when this handle came out but it was featured on the Deluxe model which I have adverts from the launch in 1949. There are some flip open cases that also came with the razor on this handle which I put in the same era ... late 1940s.

Back
Top Bottom