Blackbird vs. Karve

Good morning gents.

I'm trying to decide which razor to purchase. I am looking for a somewhat premium razor (machined from solid metal) that is very efficient yet retains smoothness (smoother than my R41 at least)... I have heard that the Blackbird is wonderfully efficient, but have not seen a comparison of the two anywhere. Does Karve have a plate that equals the efficiency of the Blackbird whilst being smoother? Is there a noticeable difference in shave quality between the two?

Many thanks in advance!

James

P.S. I don't want to spend more than £200 all in, so the 'high end' stuff is out of the question [emoji16]

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I have a Blackbird SB and I have tried a Karve with D, E, & F plates. I would say the E plate was close to the Blackbird in shaving performance but I think the Blackbird won out in being slightly smoother.....but as always YMMV! :) P.
That's great, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences!

They will both cost the same by the time I get a Karve to here or buy a Blackbird from a UK seller, so opinions such as yours are invaluable!

I contacted Anthony direct as the Vector I wanted was out of stock. They were waiting for an order so he opened up the Vector to buy on back order. He is now sourcing a Sabre for me. He is a very helpful fellow. Just contact him with your query and he will do what he can. I cannot recommend Shavelounge enough.

I contacted Anthony direct as the Vector I wanted was out of stock. They were waiting for an order so he opened up the Vector to buy on back order. He is now sourcing a Sabre for me. He is a very helpful fellow. Just contact him with your query and he will do what he can. I cannot recommend Shavelounge enough.
Have you ordered a polished Vector through ShaveLounge? P.

I completely agree, the customer service from the Shave Lounge is second to none!

Yes - Anthony is excellent, very helpful. I bought a SE1 off him. In the end I sold it off because I found the GEM PTFE blade sharper than Prolines and though the added width of the AC blade made for more rapid shaving in general, it was a bit harder to negotiate East-West below the chin. Didn't help with the angles. I preferred my MMOC and MMCP and 1912 to the AC blade/head combination, but others are AC fans. Should be interesting to compare both.

Who stocks the Blackbird in the UK? Do the costs work out OK or is it better going direct?
Shave Lounge, but they're currently out of stock. They are £170 with free delivery. Buying direct works out at around £160 before import taxes... I reckon safer and quicker option is to buy from Shave Lounge!

I'm not sure about the Karve though, people do say it's efficient and smooth! Any more people with experience of both?

Shave Lounge, but they're currently out of stock. They are £170 with free delivery. Buying direct works out at around £160 before import taxes... I reckon safer and quicker option is to buy from Shave Lounge!

I'm not sure about the Karve though, people do say it's efficient and smooth! Any more people with experience of both?

That's the way I looked at it, add 20% tax then £8 for royal mail, plus will it arrive. You are also supporting a UK supplier, which can only be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom