Seygus Zeppelin

Thanks for the link - to be honest: I don't think I missed something ... :p

As with many razors, time spent matching the razor to the blade pays off. The Option 5 works well with blades such as Nacets but is hopeless with Derbys.

It's a "one shot wonder", here one day and gone the next, but, as I recall, the biggest gripes were over its fragility. Too many latches, catches and springs, and if you drop it, it'll fall apart forever.

Day 2 with the Zeppelin.

Same blade, second use, with Razor Master "Toivo" Pine Tar soap, a PAA Crown King Rubberset-style synth brush and a Woodhead shaving bowl. To maintain, in part the Spanish theme, concluded with La Toja aftershave and LEA balm

This is a remarkable razor.

As expected, I picked it up, forgetting about the variable gaps, and set to. It happens I'd got 0.7, and the first pass, yet again, meant about 90% completion. Second time around on 0.5, and all done.

A lot of thought has gone into the design of the Zeppelin.

I need glasses to read things, but I never wear them when shaving, as I'm steamed up in seconds, and hardly ever need to read anything in that process anyway. Some "double-gap" razors, like vintage Gibbs and a couple of modern ones, have rather feeble + and - top-cap signs to distinguish sides, and you do need to read these. With the Zeppelin's plain and scalloped safety bars, all that's needed is to lightly touch them to know which side is which; a nice example of haptics.

As well as being efficient, it's a very forgiving razor. I was deliberately very cavalier about angles and maintaining them, but not once did it feel uncomfortable, or about to bite.

I always bin a blade after three uses, so tomorrow will be the last day of this round with the Zeppelin. I plan to use a few different razors which I think might compare blade gap- and exposure-wise, and the next Zeppelin session will involve a daily handle swap.

Curiously, I already own a bit of Zeppelin. My grandmother, a Suffolk girl, saw the L48 brought down at Theberton in 1917, during the First World War, and I have a small piece of the aluminium frame.

Last edited:
Received this afternoon from Jose Antonio - Seygus:

mQtTKgc.jpg

Made exclusively for me:
- a Zeppelin razor head with baseplate 0.7/0.7 mm gap
- a Zeppelin razor head with baseplate 0.9/0.9 mm gap
- a pouch to store the razor (not made exclusively for me)

xslQX0w.jpg

Nice detail: my name on it ...

The baseplates are not polished - I am going to do that (carefully).
Coming weeks I will test these razor heads - will be fun.

Day 3 with the Zeppelin. This will be the last for a little while.

Same blade, Vitos Green soap, Semogue Excelsior boar brush, my other Giles Shaving bowl. Fine Vetiver to finish.

Yet again, a perfect result in two passes. This is a very good razor, and I think it'll be the one that gets reached for a lot.

Seygus have got it exactly right with this, and I look forward to seeing further impressions from other users.

@jan @Ferrum
Besides blade gap, any difference between V1 and V2?

As far as I know, there are 2 small differences between V.1 and V.2:

-1- The text at the bottom of the base plate is a bit different:

IUZgw89.jpg

V.1

KygrYfP.jpg

V.2

-2- The cap has been modified.
On the V.1, the edges of the blade protude from the short side of the head.
A very little bit - one can hardly see it, but one can feel it ...

G59gW2Z.jpg

V.1 cap left, V.2 cap right.

Seygus Zeppelin - status and conclusion.

Today I used my Seygus Zeppelin with 0.7 mm blade gap for the 4th time:

SOTD 20190216.

LNcsAhf.jpg

J&T® model "Minimalistic" pear / Tuxedo.
Cibe Fiori & Frutta "Lavender" shaving soap.
Seygus "Zeppelin" V.2 (gap 0.7 mm) / Stork "Taipan" handle (4).
Kai Stainless (6).
Novaya Zarya "Triple by Napoleon" EdC.

These are the figures of the used blade gaps by me:

0.3 mm - 2
0.5 mm - 22
0.7 mm - 4
0.9 mm - 2

Blade gap 0.3 mm is too mild, 0.5 mm is OK - could be better, 0.9 mm is a bit too aggressive for me.
Leaves us: 0.7 mm - just right, for me (but as always YMMV).

Now I'm going to enjoy my Zeppelin with 0.7 mm for a while (at least a week), after that my 3 Zeppelin's
will go "on tour" to a number of my fellow shavers on Shaving Society.
I expect they will make a little review of their experiences ...

To be continued.

These are the figures of the used blade gaps by me:

0.3 mm - 2
0.5 mm - 22
0.7 mm - 4
0.9 mm - 2

Blade gap 0.3 mm is too mild, 0.5 mm is OK - could be better, 0.9 mm is a bit too aggressive for me.
Leaves us: 0.7 mm - just right, for me (but as always YMMV).

That's about 0.027" which is + or - 0.002" for the 0.025" that the Gillette Tech variants are by my feeler gauge measurements and the "Goldilocks zone" IMO. ;)

Whilst I find the .7 the best side for me in my V2 .5/.7 Zeppelin, I have a couple of places which almost always need a touch up, and for these the smaller gap comes in handy.

However, I think many people would be quite happy with .7 both sides, in which case the different bars are unnecessary.

I've had three 3-day sessions with mine, intermingled with a Timeless .68 and a Rex Ambassador on the 2 setting. All three provide a first-class 2 pass shave, but my impression is that the Zeppelin does this with the least effort or concentration.

Received the Seygus Zeppelin yesterday (Wednesday) and shaved with it today. Started with the .7 side using a Feather blade. Smooth as silk as if no blade was in the razor. Second pass used the .5 side and same results extremely smooth and the final verdict hours later my face is very smooth and the shave close. Fit and finish are great. My only complaint is the handle is a bit short at about 80mm. I ordered a bamboo iKon handle and will try that probably next week.
IMG_0115.JPG

My Zeppelin has arrived. A quick first shot before I go and use it. The handle is a Windrose titanium.

Hi Ferrum. Can you point me in the direction to buy the new Zeppelin?

I did buy a Seyguss directly from them in the past but buggered if I can find their web shop this time

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom