My first straight shave today

As for blood, with slow controlled moves I find I get a warning sign when a cut is imminent, a tiny burning sensation that will cause an automatic retraction of blade, ouch, close call but no real harm done. (The only blood sheds so far have involved finger tips while honing or cleaning blades)

Last edited:
Well I do have to admit my first straight shave was an unmitigated disaster. More nicks than I am used to by a long shot.

I did everything by the book (and video) and by far my hardest part was holding the razor and managing to see where the blade actually was on my face. It gave me a very uneasy feeling and I was rewarded with a smashing cut on my cheek.

Not to be deterred I am going to try again soon and first I am going to put more effort in finding more suitable ways of holding the razor. I really do take my hat off to you straight shavers, you are hard men. I suddenly find my Ikon B1 SB a baby and barely mild in comparison.

Well I do have to admit my first straight shave was an unmitigated disaster. More nicks than I am used to by a long shot.

I did everything by the book (and video) and by far my hardest part was holding the razor and managing to see where the blade actually was on my face. It gave me a very uneasy feeling and I was rewarded with a smashing cut on my cheek.

Not to be deterred I am going to try again soon and first I am going to put more effort in finding more suitable ways of holding the razor. I really do take my hat off to you straight shavers, you are hard men. I suddenly find my Ikon B1 SB a baby and barely mild in comparison.

Awww, did you get a boo boo Chris?

zaxfnb48b4ez.jpg

Don't push too much at first. A full shave just isn't worth it. Practice on cheeks, do the rest with DE.

You'll get there

Which to be honest is the way I am thinking. This is one art I really want to master and I am very much in awe of you chaps who have stuck with it and learnt technique which I think is 90% of this game

I thought I'd do a quick update:

After a few shaves, it's not as awkward as I was, it's still patchy under my chin and after going over my face with a DE after I'd done one pass with the straight, I can say that a one-pass shave with a straight is smoother than a one-pass shave with a DE.

I got a bit of irritation but no razor-rash, no nicks, no cuts.

It's coming along nicely [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I thought I'd do a quick update:

After a few shaves, it's not as awkward as I was, it's still patchy under my chin and after going over my face with a DE after I'd done one pass with the straight, I can say that a one-pass shave with a straight is smoother than a one-pass shave with a DE.

I got a bit of irritation but no razor-rash, no nicks, no cuts.

It's coming along nicely [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Keep up the good work, you will get there. :)

Back
Top Bottom