Whisk(e)y for beginners.....

When I was at the Jameson tour in Dublin got talking to one of the employees and he was saying the sherry casks are being supported by Diagio and that only 30% of what was made was being drank, if they don't have the casks you don't get the whiskey.
As its St Patricks day having a few pints of Guinness and some Jameson Caskmates.

Tried a Talisker Skye miniature tonight. Needed some water and still found it a bit rough. Don't think I would buy a bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the 10yo smoother? I tried a Lagavulin and I think I preferred that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I've never understood what people mean by “smooth” so I can't say. What I can tell you is that the 10 year old has a more balanced and complex flavour than the Storm. Lagavulin is the whisky I'd choose if I could only have one, it's my favourite.

Pre-Christmas question / recommendation...

Really interested in an introduction to Irish whiskey, and I see Bushmills is nice and cheap. The original just being £15 in Asda. For the price worth the upgrade to the 10 year old or the Black?

As someone who used to live about 30min from the Distillery and has been on a few tours....... I have tried most of them. My recommendation would be at a minimum Black Bush. The 10yr Single Malt is even nicer.....but if you want to push the boat out a little more...go for the 12 year Distillery Reserve. It is the only whiskey they sell mail order and is only available from the Distillery. Lovely stuff! I was over in August with my (now) wife and we had the label printed there to mark our special occasion.

As someone who used to live about 30min from the Distillery and has been on a few tours....... I have tried most of them. My recommendation would be at a minimum Black Bush. The 10yr Single Malt is even nicer.....but if you want to push the boat out a little more...go for the 12 year Distillery Reserve. It is the only whiskey they sell mail order and is only available from the Distillery. Lovely stuff! I was over in August with my (now) wife and we had the label printed there to mark our special occasion.

Thank you Brian. Love that label!!!! I'll have a look. What a love;y thought with the label.

Bought some Jameson's Stout Edition as going cheap in Sainsburys:

55b7464a39aec98f63f8c665fd019d10.jpg

Reviving this thread, I have a few favourites such as Black Bushmills, and malts from Bowmore and Highland Park, but I think the best education is to be had in a Scottish bar, where the range and variety is breathtaking.

Yup. Let your palate decide. Smoky? Briney? Peaty? or smooth and sherried? Generally speaking, the Island malts have (naturally) a more maritime saltiness. Islay ones can be predominantly peaty; although there are notable exceptions. Speyside tends to produce sherried ones (but there are peaty exceptions). The largest variety can be found in the Highland region.

Have fun. Personally, I veer from extreme to extreme: Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 for a heavy peat hit; or Glenfarclas 15 for opulent, fruity grannie’s Sherry Christmas cake.

Back
Top Bottom