Big Ben differential edge sharpness

When I started DE shaving, I bought a sampler from Connaught to see which blades would suit me. I've had two Big Bens out of their tuck, and found in both cases that one side (the top, if you're reading what's printed on the blade) is finished well and gives a nice smooth shave, whereas the 'bottom' edge is really rough and tuggy.

Is this normal for Big Ben or Lord blades? I've got some of their other brands that I've still to work my way to.

At the price they go for, one good edge is probably reasonable, but it would be nice to know what I'm letting myself in for.

Depending on what equipment is used (Strip or Band), but in general it's easier to sharpen the T/E v B/E. That being said, a decent operator should be able to maintain grinding limits. Not sure if the blade is an ‘As Sharpened' or ‘Stropped' might be just down to poor machine set up,

Since I last reported I've found one Lord blade that was fine on both edges (Shark Super Stainless), but this week I've found that my Ladas blades are exhibiting the exact same characteristics, right down to the fact that it's the side at the top when reading what's printed on the blades that's the decent edge. These are supposedly made in Moscow.

I don't think these are fakes (if you're going to fake something, surely go for the more premium brands? My Voskhods and Rapiras are fine), and they've come to me from a third different supplier, in a third different country. But I'm pretty convinced they've all been made in the same factory, on the same line. Does anyone know how much sub-contracting goes on in the blade production industry?

Next step will be to unwrap all my Lord and Mostochlegmash blades, good and bad, and look for similarities. That'll probably have to wait until the new year.

Why go through all this BS? Buy Gillette or Personna and be done with it. :rolleyes:
Heh heh. Because I have an enquiring mind coupled with a masochistic streak, and already have a few dozen different blades to try. Sputniks (Gillette) are amongst the best I've tried, but of the Personna varieties I've tried so far I could take or leave them.

YMM, as they say, V.

Back
Top Bottom