Young 'uns.

Todays generation are starting young. Four year old Grandson Zeb playing around with his wireless laptop, daughter on my Macbook while hubby takes a break from his laptop to have a cuppa. Grandma's doing her crossword.

xmaspast.jpg

I hear ya man!....
Me and my wife have friends with 2 toddlers plus 1 older kid..actually 2 couples..their eldest kids being at least 8 years old wanting or already having an Ipod Touch device..I wonder to myself "what could they possibly want an MP3 player" and a "texting device to message their friends"..all at the sametime!.. :mrgreen: ..I am a PC Engineer by trade.."boy o boy do I feel outdated from technology"....and I swore to myself years ago I wouldnt be outsmarted!.
Thank heavens out daughter is only 2..BUT..she loves to watch educational dvd's and programs on TV..and the occasional animals vids on you tube I allow her to sit my in computer chair and watch. Cuppa=Cup of Tea?..whats cuppa?

Blades

shrink said:
do i spy a fine set of spendor speakers there

are these yours fido? if so, your good tastes extends beyond shaving it seems :)

Well spotted! And in my study I have Spendors in a 5.1 set up plus another pair with my sterio high fi. either side of my desk. I'm settled with my audio set up and don't often upgrade these days.

good man ;)

I often find it amusing, how much in common we all end up having on these forums. Im a member of several hifi based forums, and the number of people there with interests in traditional shaving, tailoring and photography etc, is staggering. I guess it takes a lot of like minded people to establish a community such as the one in evidence on this site.

Blades said:
I hear ya man!....
Me and my wife have friends with 2 toddlers plus 1 older kid..actually 2 couples..their eldest kids being at least 8 years old wanting or already having an Ipod Touch device..I wonder to myself "what could they possibly want an MP3 player" and a "texting device to message their friends"..all at the sametime!.. :mrgreen: ..I am a PC Engineer by trade.."boy o boy do I feel outdated from technology"....and I swore to myself years ago I wouldnt be outsmarted!.
Thank heavens out daughter is only 2..BUT..she loves to watch educational dvd's and programs on TV..and the occasional animals vids on you tube I allow her to sit my in computer chair and watch. Cuppa=Cup of Tea?..whats cuppa?

Blades

My daughter has her own business so Zeb has been in a private nursery school since a few months old. They have a weekly session they call Techno tots teaching basic computer skills from the age of three! He's a pro already - he knows all the controls on DVD player and TV - it's childs play.

Fido said:
My daughter has her own business so Zeb has been in a private nursery school since a few months old. They have a weekly session they call Techno tots teaching basic computer skills from the age of three! He's a pro already - he knows all the controls on DVD player and TV - it's childs play.

To be fair Fido, any kid that's allowed to touch the stuff gets very quickly to grips with it... my lad (7 at the time) did his own Ubuntu install on his laptop :D I just had to set the date & time & add it to the wireless network.

Wow!..im at a loss for words!..wait another 10 years..we have to buy a "techie 2022 dictionary"..for all those confusing terms and ideology's!... :lol:

Blades

shrink said:
good man ;)

I often find it amusing, how much in common we all end up having on these forums. Im a member of several hifi based forums, and the number of people there with interests in traditional shaving, tailoring and photography etc, is staggering. I guess it takes a lot of like minded people to establish a community such as the one in evidence on this site.

I think maybe we like to be individual.................... ;)
Hi FI, mine is a mix of new and old..........iPod or vinyl source...........Mezzo 2 speakers........all connected together with a new (ish) heavily modified valve amp. As I live in a compact (for that read small !!) flat my Hi Fi size was dictated by the room size.

Plus the valve amp serves well as a heater if the central heating fails......... :lol: :lol: .............and looks and sounds stunning.....

spooky how similar things crop up....speakers look similar to my Monitor Gold speakers on my system...and my son grew up helping me build computers

I remember when I was about 14 my dad - an electrical engineer working for GEC - came home with a book about the Zilog Z80 microprocessor. He announced, "these things are the way forward, they're going to shape the world. People are going to have a lot more leisure time". He wasn't a million miles off in his predicition I guess.

So I rode in on the wave of new technologies, not quite writing programs on punched card but not far behind it. I've always kept my head above water when it comes to new developments and terminologies, but now in my mid-40s I can feel my grasp slipping a little. When I see some of this amazing new kit, how relatively cheap it is, and how children take it for granted it both awes and chills me.

I'm in charge of a team at work who still think of disc storage in terms of tracks and cylinders...

Another aspect of the issue:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/01/19/learning-to-play-angry-birds-before-you-can-tie-your-shoes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/01/19/ ... our-shoes/</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom