You wait for ages

[attachment=5091]Then two come along at once, the latest chance finds, Two Diplomats a Y-3 and an A-3 both mislabeled as Aristocrats and both at a good price and in need of a clean. They have both come up nice, I am sure you will agree.

It does not look like it in the photo but the front one is actually in better shape than the rear one.

Attachments

• dual diplomats.jpg
    dual diplomats.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 82
toastwars said:
Then two come along at once, the latest chance finds, Two Diplomats a Y-3 and an A-3 both mislabeled as Aristocrats and both at a good price and in need of a clean. They have both come up nice, I am sure you will agree.

It does not look like it in the photo but the front one is actually in better shape than the rear one.

So what is the difference between a diplomat and an aristocrat? This is a genuine question and not an invitation for sarcastic comments from forum members. I ask because I have recently aquired an American Aristocrat and don't know my arse from my elbow apparently.

UKRob said:
So what is the difference between a diplomat and an aristocrat? This is a genuine question and not an invitation for sarcastic comments from forum members. I ask because I have recently aquired an American Aristocrat and don't know my arse from my elbow apparently.

The band above the diplomat's TTO knob is knurled + different case. Thats it.

Spot on from antdad, i have been told that the plating and/or laquer is of a better quality too, I am inclined to agree as the Diplomat seems to stand the test of time and use a little better. Although I would not bet my life on it. Opinions, class....anyone?

UKRob said:
[So what is the difference between a diplomat and an aristocrat?

Hi there,

Those are nice razors....I use em myself in the rotation. The Diplomat and the President are basically the same, the plating being the only difference. Knurling ring pattern is the same on both and they were made around the same time.

I think there's only one knurling ring design for the Diplomat, but there's plenty of Aristocrat variations out there. Variations on the Diplomat also regarding the parts. I have a B2 Diplomat with a silver TTO piece instead of gold.

Some Aristos have the normal ring pattern on the bottom, with the top one being the Diplomat design. There's other weird combos like that as well, which I can't remember.

I have seen more than a few of the Aristo/Diplomats over the years and many times the plating will have held up unusually well. Been using the ones in my rotation for years and they still look about the same. Heh, they mighta been the Gillette Golden years for plating.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom