You lucky Brits

Just looked at the ebay.co.uk site and man, there are SO many great British razors available there that I would LOVE to be able to bid on...but, lo and behold...they only ship w/in the UK.

Made me think, maybe make an arrangement with someone here...if you ever find yourself looking at razors that don't ship outside of the US....maybe we can buy on behalf of eachother and then send the item(s) onwards.

It would obviously be for razors where the additional shipping cost would make sense but if anyone would be up for an arrangement like that I'd be interested.

There IS one razor on your UK site right now I would personally love to be able to get....

Just a thought :)

If anyone would be interested in something like that...send me a PM :)

Write the sellers asking them to join ebay's international buyer program.

They ship it to ebay here in the uk, ebay sends it to you, ebay take over the liability etc', you pay ebay for the international shipping.

I do this sometimes when buying from the EU.

Good idea ! I buy from the US and often with the International buying program. It saves the hassle with customs when the item gets here.
I've seen razors on US ebay that I'd like to bid on but only ship in the US.
I even asked some about shipping to UK, some answered no and others didn't bother to reply.
If I can be of help anytime send me a PM.

That International Shipping Program is one hell of a rip off, imo- quite taken the shine off many deals for me. An exchange agreement with a new buddy is the way to go, imo.

Bechet45 said:
That International Shipping Program is one hell of a rip off, imo- quite taken the shine off many deals for me. An exchange agreement with a new buddy is the way to go, imo.

I agree but when there's no alternative for the item your're bidding on just have to go with it :-/
I buy something most weeks from the US. I could keep a US buddy busy with shipping things out to me :icon_smile:

I was forcibly enrolled onto the International Shipping Programme but if I list a razor, it tells me that the category I selected (Collectables/VP&G/Barber Shop & Shaving) is not eligible for the programme. Maybe so for others, hence the volume of UK only listings. Go figure!?

Bechet45 said:

I too agree 100% I sell the odd bit on Ebay, and was shocked at the markup they put on 'international'. I've now withdrawn from their scheme, and advertise my own rates as determined by the Royal Mail web site. A 'buddy' arrangement where the option is nothing, is a perfect way to go...

Darkbulb said:
Just looked at the ebay.co.uk site and man, there are SO many great British razors available there that I would LOVE to be able to bid on...but, lo and behold...they only ship w/in the UK.

Yeah, there's some great UK Gillette models and usually the build quality is kicked up a notch or two from the US razors. Seems like instead of gold plating, the Limeys went more for rhodium, which is another nice choice. Plus, all those many barbershop handle versions not made in the US at all.

When it comes to these foreigners being lucky regarding razors though, you are kinda off the mark. Nice as the shaving crap is over there, it's almost never seen in stores and only rarely at boot sales and flea markets. Now that is not so hot I think you will agree. Is that Marin City Flea market still going on? That is the kinda place you would see shaving crap for almost free.

Here in the Midwest I run into razors like crazy, mostly during the warmer months. All kinds and all cheap....couple bucks each. Before I started shaving with DE razors and even as a kid you would mostly use Gillettes as sinkers for perch fishing. There was always a bucket full of free Gillettes to grab some on the way out of the bait house.

I feel very sad for most of them when it comes to treasure hunting in the wild.

Martin

Ohhh, have you looked at ebayFrance......he asks innocently. Been a long time but maybe type in something like rasoir mechanique

when i list razors on ebay i select international postage but do not specify a price. i include instructions in the listing to contact me for a price-this allows me to tailor to the customer. i have sent razors to australia, brazil, canada , usa...all over the show! never had any problems at all.

ebay france can be good but you do get bored of seeing the same overpriced junk week after week! they stick out like a sore thumb amongst the genuine stuff. worth a go though, had many a grubby filth covered razor from france that has turned into a shiny diamond with a bit of love =)

what are you after darkbulb? you have something particular in mind? i can keep a beady eye out. buy it and then just work out a razor/funds swop via paypal gift=)

discodaz said:
ebay france can be good but you do get bored of seeing the same overpriced junk week after week! they stick out like a sore thumb amongst the genuine stuff. worth a go though, had many a grubby filth covered razor from france that has turned into a shiny diamond with a bit of love =)

Hi there,

I mentioned the French site to keep twisting his noodle about what's out there. You are probably right about what's being offered there now, but it wasn't that many years ago when it was a happening place for sure. Lots of nice unusual and unknown razors.....many of em silver plated and open combs. Cased sets would be maybe $30-40 tops and often less. You're right about tarnished silver razors cleaning up amazingly well.

Then you would see various LeCoq models and the wonderful Lereche was not unusual to see in different models and they were maybe $50 cased in good shape. I also saw a number of Kirbys being offered for not much cash before they went nuts. Even bought one for a friend. Not all that much bidding or interest in old shaving crap on that site, which was great.

Hah, back then I hadda forum buddy living in France (Max) and he would have my ebayFrance winnings shipped to him and then him to me. Saved me a LOT on shipping. I bought a few interesting razors back then.

Was a fun place to hang out.

Martin

still plenty of treasure on there martin, just not as common these days. a few sneaky snakes about on there but still happy hunting, got a lovely fatboy off there last week at a price unheard of on the uk site =)

Back
Top Bottom