Xubuntu

Finally got around to sorting out my wife's Acer netbook - it's only taken a year or so! Out with Linpus Lite (yuk), in with a newish issue of the xfce version of Ubuntu. Granted it takes 10 seconds to boot now instead of 2, but in general it's brisk, stable and easy to use. The main thing is that she's made up with it. So, recommended for resource limited systems.

I've been running mine now for ~6mo on a notebook. Start up is slower but everything else is basically the same.
I was running both systems on the book. But my windows 7 developed a start up error and I haven't been able to correct it . Can start in safe but not in regular.
It was a good thing that I had the Linux on it!

I used to use Xubuntu but now have Mint 9 on my netbook. Mine takes about 10 seconds to start and everything works properly out of the box (although I did use Mint 11 at first and the proprietary network driver kept causing random lockups). I use it everyday (including right now).
On my older laptop I had Xubuntu and they are great for older hardware, both in terms of resoures required and hardware recognition.
Did you try LXDE? Similar sort of thing. Great that you can test out the live CD first.

running mint 64 most days...new release v12...some things are awkward since it changed the format....ill stick with it a bit longer before i change agaon

isnt damnsmalllinux

a lot smaller lighter operating system? here is the recomended specs for dsl

Pentium 200MHz
64MB ram
8x CDROM
1.44mb floppy drive (for boot floppy, if needed)
VGA monitor and video card capable of handling at least 16 bit color
a mouse with a scroll wheel
by tik

Well, DSL and Puppy both crossed my mind but I decided that Xubuntu would probably be the easiest to install, and the interface is nice and familiar. Mind you, I bet a really lightweight OS would run like lightning on that machine. For this one (ancient laptop) I've been using Mint for a long time now and it keeps chugging along with no problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom