XP Antivirus 2012 (Virus)

Hi all

has anybody come across this virus yet a mate dropped his computer off yesterday with this (XP Antivirus 2012) installed and I cant get rid of it.

It turns off Mcafee and your firewall. So I installed Norton on it and that cant remove it?

I have rub spybot and malwarebytes in safe mode they removed a lot of other stuff but not this virus.

I run windows defender as well :roll: it came back with no threats at all.

Cant see any referance to it apart from XP Antivirus 2011 and its not the same virus from what I can work out.

Heres hoping sombody can help.

You don't mention a System Restore. Have you tried that?

I've had computers here with horrible viruses, but a simple System Restore can sometime do the trick.

Ian

Never heard of that one. I have a raze and rebuild policy on my machines, not had an infection myself (touch wood) but if I did I would hose the drive and reinstall. On someone elses machine it is worth a try just for the challenge but again I would be cautious about sticking my USB stick in it :shock:

Google seems to come with lots for hits for "XP Antivirus 2012" and most have removal instructions which do vary form siure to site with some offering removal tools. My first pass at removal would be to boot into safe mode, find the process and kill it/them first and then attempt removal. If that fails try a restore or tell your mate to get knotted which depends on how good a mate he is ;) )

As per the above.

I've not had much faith in system restores as the first thing a virus does is corrupt them or install copies of themselves there.

If you've copped a nasty virus you can try:

Pull the disk and shove it in a caddy - scan the drive from another PC. While you are there, back up your documents, email & Pics.

Hopefully the scan would have cleaned the worst of the garbage on there, and you should be able to get up & running. Failing that (as you now have a backup) > Delete & re-create partitions, format & reinstall.

Good that you have sorted it...

Malwarebytes Antimalware (Run in Safe Mode)
Avast Antivirus (Boot Time Scan)
Super Antispyware

Running all three in that order always seem to work for me when cleaning these Rogues off peoples PC's

Sometimes the Rogue Programs disable the running of Executable (EXE files ) so you may not be able to run these programs but there is a simple fix for that too.

also running a boot time CD like (Ultimate Boot CD) and plugging in a USB stick gives you the chance to save Documents / Photos / Vids etc if you do have to reformat.

I don't use my work computer to access many sites and they are all to do with work (HSE.GOV/SHP ect) but about a few days a go i got a warning from my BT Home Hub telling me the my firewall was down. So I tried to restart the firewall but I kept saying it could not re-start. I have the company anti-virus system on it (macaffee). I am wondering if it has picked up a virus again. the problem is when I connect to the company intranet it is exposed to anything on there and our I.T. department is not that good........ok pretty crap....... :shock:
It is running Windows XP pro, any ideas? I have a lot of sensitive info on it that I cannot lose as some of it is related to a large 3/4 mill pound claim.... :( and am a bit worried now about connecting my external drive to back it up in case it has a virus and it infects that as well.
Re-formatt and re-install is not an option as I don't have the discs and it would mean it oing back to Liverpool for at least a week.......
I suppose at least I would only loose a couple of weeks work !!

The only thing that springs to minds is that my company was using McAfee and I was sent an email with a virus in it my home computer with norton on it wouldn't allow me to open it. I informed our it department and a few month later our company had symantec installed.

download a usb install of ubuntu, boot from the usb stick,it will load ubuntu from the stick allowing you access to the drive of the laptop.back up what you need then format.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick">https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... omUSBStick</a><!-- m -->

All you need, really - is to turn OFF windows defender and firewall - install Comodo Firewall instead, and then Kaspersky antivirus. That's it, nothing else than that. Or just get Linux and forget about viruses and malware :) Just not Ubuntu..

We are on Symantec Corporate as well, it has a heavy overhead on each system but decent real time monitoring (well less crap than Mcaffe). Down side is by the time you add the mail client and IM with a few other applications (which all grow with each iteration), you now need a minimum 2Gb RAM and a reasonably decent processor preferably with 2 cores to do anything productive.

In your situation I would make saving the data the primary goal, the safest way to do this is using a boot disc as Boab mentioned. As long as you don't have disc encryption it is pretty straight forward. When you get the files off you can scan them with a known clean system safely enough but I would not open any until checked out. The XP Antivirus is just malware but it can invite other more damaging nasties to the party; from what I read it can be a right PIA to get rid of as well.

You might have to got to Liverpool but at least you can save the work.

Good luck.

Just had this malware on my machine howver I alway have a ghost backup of my machine just in case. Got XP Antivirus at 7pm by 8pm I was back upto speed with all my updates done.

However I run symantec cororate on my machine and it didnt catch it even with todays updates installed.

Back
Top Bottom