Wright's Traditional Soap

Screenshot_20230726-172546_Samsung Internet.jpg

Been using this as a preshave for the last week or so, and as a general face washing soap.

I rub it onto my wet face and rub it in before applying my lather. Really impressed. Slick and I like the coal tar smell.

It claims to have antibacterial properties which may or may not be true, but since using it ky face has been clear of any of the small spots I sometimes get in the summer heat.

Can't really go wrong at 85p per bar....

The soap of my childhood and youth, and today. It was always renowned for the amount of glycerine in it, but although it manages to keep a coal tar scent, coal tar itself fell foul of EU regulations.

Oddly, perhaps its closest relative is Properts Glycerine Saddle Soap, but so far I've used that only on leather!

The soap of my childhood and youth, and today. It was always renowned for the amount of glycerine in it, but although it manages to keep a coal tar scent, coal tar itself fell foul of EU regulations.

Oddly, perhaps its closest relative is Properts Glycerine Saddle Soap, but so far I've used that only on leather!
It may be a good soap but I remember it before the EU got their hands on it and I believe the coal tar in the old formulation was far more beneficial for the skin.
You could still get birch tar soap from Russia a few years ago, again, a very good soap for problem skin.
Bloody medaling EU!

Paul.

I love it and it definitely keeps my skin clearer than anything else. Love the smell too. Alas, my good lady grew up with her father using it relentlessly and cannot stand the smell nor sight of it. Imperial Leather when I’m flush but Lidl’s pure white soap when not.

Love the old British soaps (Wright’s most of all) but such a shame they’re all made abroad. Nothing wrong with foreign manufacture but these are old icons of Blighty’s past.

Last edited:
The standard white soap from Lidl is excellent, one of the few tallow soaps left on the high street. I find some (main ingredient) palm oil soaps can be prone to falling apart after use, hard tallow soaps seem to keep their shape better from my experience.
I think the Lidl’s one is made here. English company name on t’ back. I just love the scent of Imperial Leather though. Plain white soap is a bathroom classic.

I think the Lidl’s one is made here. English company name on t’ back. I just love the scent of Imperial Leather though. Plain white soap is a bathroom classic.

Imperial Leather is a classic, it was my bathroom for years and years. I'd have bought it in bulk when it was in its tallow formulation.

Back
Top Bottom