Would it be possible...

...for someone to manufacture new versions of e.g. the Ever Ready 1912?

Surely the patent has long-since expired and would be nice to be able to buy a new (or even stainless steel) version of this razor?

Or any SE razor design for that matter, since Cobra aside, most manufacturers seem to focus their attention on DE razors.

Anyone on here got the skills?!

Anything is possible but I think the styling of se razors make making a modern replica quite expensive due to the amount of work tooling all the pieces to shape and then assembly and all the engraving work.

So yes it's possible but cost wise they would be expensive

Why try and improve on something that works and costs £10? You will still have to depend on the Gem blade - a choice of one - so why not devote your time to developing an alternative blade instead?

UKRob said:
Why try and improve on something that works and costs £10? You will still have to depend on the Gem blade - a choice of one - so why not devote your time to developing an alternative blade instead?

I like the razor but would be nice to have a nice, new shiny version and potentially in stainless steel to be a bit more durable and last another 50 years or more.

Admittedly the blade choice is a bit limited but I gather in the US there are a few more blade options? If so, maybe easier for someone to just import them.

Just would be nice to have something with the appeal of the Cobra for example without being tied to buying Feather blades (good though I hear they are).

michaelg said:
UKRob said:

I like the razor but would be nice to have a nice, new shiny version and potentially in stainless steel to be a bit more durable and last another 50 years or more.

Admittedly the blade choice is a bit limited but I gather in the US there are a few more blade options? If so, maybe easier for someone to just import them.

Just would be nice to have something with the appeal of the Cobra for example without being tied to buying Feather blades (good though I hear they are).

I think that the other types of SE blade available in the US are just the same blades with different names - they all come from the same factory. Gem or a converted Feather are the only options.

If you want something perhaps with a bit more quality take a look at EverReady Slimline- it's a machined head and heavier. They are more expensive but you can get them in pristine condition, over 50 years old already and good for at least that again.

UKRob said:
If you want something perhaps with a bit more quality take a look at EverReady Slimline- it's a machined head and heavier. They are more expensive but you can get them in pristine condition, over 50 years old already and good for at least that again.

+1 on that with the caveat that the Streamline doesn't seem to work for as many people as the 1912 does (or so I've read).

However, they are definitely the 'Gillette Aristocrat' of SE's.

Cool will have a look for these then. What about injectors? What are the pros and cons of these? They are appealing for the smaller head meaning easier under nose access but is it a similar shave and how is choice of blades?

Back
Top Bottom