Wood for brush handles

Paul

Vendor Sponsor
I just wondered if any timber wood do for shaving brush handles?

The wood below is from a Laurel which is pale but has a nice fine grain.
Also I wonder how long you would have to season fresh cut wood before it wood be suitable for turning?

wp1ef4e0a7_0f.jpg

wp0ad39afb_0f.jpg

wpa1307a98_0f.jpg

pdmayhew said:
I just wondered if any timber wood do for shaving brush handles?

The wood below is from a Laurel which is pale but has a nice fine grain.
Also I wonder how long you would have to season fresh cut wood before it wood be suitable for turning?

I would prefer something dense/heavy (i.e. with a high volumetric mass). For looks I prefer something with nice grain and preferably some figure (I currently have some south African Quar with really nice quilting).

I think the rule of thumb is a year for each inch of thickness, until it is dry. The other option is to rough turn (wet) to almost final proportions, then let it dry for a couple of months, then final turning.

Or go the instant gratification way, and kiln-dry. EIther way, make sure you seal the end grain to prevent splitting (wood dries much quicker over the end grain than across the grain). I usually seal with candle wax.

Henk

Chris (Neocaligatio) is your man for this one, but I'll venture an opinion. Laurel should do nicely for your purposes, and it certainly would do no harm to try it out anyway. A reasonable rule of thumb for seasoning would be a year for each inch of billet thickness: the garden shed would be a good place for this, but bring it indoors for a couple of weeks before you turn it. If the log is short, it might be a good plan to paint the ends or dip them in wax to prevent deep shakes forming, this is good practice but will retard the drying process significantly. Another approach would be to use PEG (polyethylene glycol) to displace the moisture: I'll leave you to google that since it's not something I have experience of. If you have plenty of the stuff, why not turn a piece green to see how it works?

[edit] Henk has pre-empted pretty much everything I've said, but I'll post it anyway. If you fancy buying in some timber, something in the rosewood line would be a sensible place to start.

I can send a bit to Chris if he's interested as I don't turn wood myself. It's fresh cut though (salvaged from my neighbours garden today).

I have a few feet of 2-3" diameter & 1' of 6"timber. Not sure if this large bit can be used for anything else, any wood carvers around?

It's soft now but I think laurel turns quite hard once dry.

Arrowhead said:
If you fancy buying in some timber, something in the rosewood line would be a sensible place to start.

Yeah, preferably cocobolo or African blackwood (or any Brazilian rosewood - Dalbergia nigra - if you can still find any). Or alternative woods -- Amsterdamse fijnhout handel, the premier exotic hardwood seller in the Netherlands, currently has a nice selection of woods from South Africa, apparently harvested as elephant casualties (trees downed by elephants). Such as this one:

_MG_1176_lzn.jpg

Black alder (Quar; Psydrax obovata).

Henk

Evening all - I have to refer to Henk for this, as he knows far more than I about the wood itself! I have a few chunks of similar size that are seasoning in the shed. One of my Grandfather's friends dries small chunks of wood in the microwave, much to his wife's disgust!

If it's up for grabs I'd love a chunk to work with ;)

In another life I used to order in kiln dried wood for building houses - it is rubbish! The moisture is driven off the green wood so quickly that it then absorbs moisture from the air and develops buckles, cupping and splits. I think that the advice given above is correct - about a season - 1 year - to get the moisture content down to around 25 - 30%. That's not the end of the story though - at those levels it responds to ambient humidity levels quite readily, so the next stage is to move it into the environment where it will be used. The whole process can take 2 - 3 years for timber that is in excess of 4" thick. If it is then moved out of that environment into one of lesser/greater humidity, you still run the risk of defects.

The first bout of seasoning basically dries off the excess water in the timber - it is/was a living thing and much of its structure is tubular, used to carry water etc - this loses water first without much dimensional change. Then the actual cells that form the timber begin to lose moisture - that's the critical part. In my experience, rapidly drying the wood only drives off the excess moisture and is a two-way process, meaning that the timber can actually take on moisture very rapidly if then moved to a more humid environment, then it begins to deform in unexpected ways.

Turning it to roughly the finished dimensions, as stated above, will hasten the process, but leave you less width of error to play with. The thinner the wood, the quicker it will season. Good workshop practice involves wax-coating the cut ends to prevent splits.

Once the timber has reached equilibrium with the environment you should be safe, but remember the tale of granny's old cupboard that survived in unheated houses since before granny was born - put into a modern house near a radiator it splits!

Will that affect small things like a shaving brush handle - I don't know. If at equilibrium point and then sealed with wax, oil or varnish probably not, but can water pentrate from the bristle end? If the brush is varnished - or whatever - is this done before the knot is glued in place?

Time, my friends, will tell.

Regards,
Neil

Neil Miller said:
In another life I used to order in kiln dried wood for building houses - it is rubbish! The moisture is driven off the green wood so quickly that it then absorbs moisture from the air and develops buckles, cupping and splits.

I believe you. However, I know from experience that there is a difference in kiln-dried construction wood, and kiln-dried exotic wood for turnery and ornamental work. Which is understandable since destroying exotic wood by drying incorrectly would generate a horrific loss, driving any entity doing this out of business before you can say "kiln-dried".

I think that the advice given above is correct - about a season - 1 year - to get the moisture content down to around 25 - 30%. That's not the end of the story though - at those levels it responds to ambient humidity levels quite readily, so the next stage is to move it into the environment where it will be used. The whole process can take 2 - 3 years for timber that is in excess of 4" thick. If it is then moved out of that environment into one of lesser/greater humidity, you still run the risk of defects.

Which is why turners frequently turn wet/green wood to semi-final dimensions. The turned object will dry much faster, and will stabilize to final ambient temperatures. At that point, one can turn to final dimensions.

Turning it to roughly the finished dimensions, as stated above, will hasten the process, but leave you less width of error to play with. The thinner the wood, the quicker it will season. Good workshop practice involves wax-coating the cut ends to prevent splits.

True, and true. And true. I've never used up so much candles as in the last couple of years.

Once the timber has reached equilibrium with the environment you should be safe, but remember the tale of granny's old cupboard that survived in unheated houses since before granny was born - put into a modern house near a radiator it splits!

Will that affect small things like a shaving brush handle - I don't know. If at equilibrium point and then sealed with wax, oil or varnish probably not, but can water pentrate from the bristle end? If the brush is varnished - or whatever - is this done before the knot is glued in place?

A brush handle is small enough so that no major internal stresses (usually) develop. I'd be surprised if a handle turned from not completely seasoned wood would still split due to ongoing seasoning. However the point raised about the water a brush is exposed to in use is a very valid one. I make sure the outside is well sealed with a marine spar varnish (not the most beautiful finish for a nice hardwood, but necessary in this case). The bowl that holds the knot is completely soaked in epoxy. Now I know that many brush makers are adamant that no glue line should be visible between the handle (edge of the bowl) and the base of the knot. I concur that this is visually preferable, and poses no mechanical problem with resin, metal, or even horn handles. However with a wood handle, you really want to seal that gap between handle and knot, so I state that if you have a brush with a wood handle and want it to be durable, you'll have to accept a glue line, otherwise you can't be certain that that top edge of the wood will not in time absorb moisture and split. Or develop all kinds of interesting moulds...

This is one reason why I am going more to handles with a ring of faux ivory (a white resin with a ceramic (?) filler) at the brush end of the handle. This ring is impervious to moisture so that I can omit the glue barrier line between handle and knot, and still know that the wood below the resin ring is fully sealed on all sides.

Henk

The bowl is black (American) walnut, and is currently my personal shave soap container. The brush is made from Mexican Bocote (a pretty nice wood... I bought two billets about two years ago, for making large hair stackers (for fly tying); I've made one for myself, and have the rest of the wood still available). After I sold it, at a local craft market, my better half commented that that was the brush she liked most :-( So now I have made one especially for her, with faux ivory rim...

Thanks

Henk

Hey Henk, lekker borstel.

OT: I tried fly fishing for the first time on Tuesday. My younger brother showed me how (he's been doing it years and proved to be a surprisingly good teacher.) It was surprisingly easy and a lot of fun; I didn't catch anything but I ate the fish he caught for lunch yesterday. He also left me a rod, a reel and a box of flies (I already have nets, disgorgers etc from brown trout fishing on worm) so now I can go back anytime. And I think I will.

So all in all: highly recommended. And another brand new hobby; my wife *will* be pleased . . . . .

Back
Top Bottom