Wintertime weather?!?

Our heating has been set to come for an hour before we get up for the last fortnight, it is now moving to the stage where I will set it to come on for an hour before I get home. Then it will just go on and stay on right round the clock and I let the thermostats control it. Over the years I have found when the winter really bites it is better and cheaper to leave the thing on and let the thermostats maintain the temp. Seems most of the energy goes into heating the building in the first place, maintaining it is not that hard.

I had to get the scraper out for the car for the first time this morning :cry: I hate that deicer canned stuff I find the windscreen wipers become less effective and smear a lot more after using it. For me it is a last resort.

hunnymonster said:
Must reshuffle the garage to put the generator and the snowblower nearer the door...

Are you really out in the sticks HM? I do get cut off but no more than one or two days and they can close the coast road with the gates but you sound like you are in the middle of a field miles from any supplies.

Audiolab said:
Are you really out in the sticks HM? I do get cut off but no more than one or two days and they can close the coast road with the gates but you sound like you are in the middle of a field miles from any supplies.

Where he lives, they think The Wicker Man is a documentary.

(I have used this line before, but it's a cracker)

Ian

The generator is mostly to ensure that the mains power never fails. Used to live in a place where it went off for several hours per week (and that's without nPower putting nPower digger buckets through nPower cables in the ground)... SPEN seem to generally know where their cables are and let other utilities know before they dig them up in error and still live...

The snowblower is mostly to irritate the neighbours (and save my back) in the event of snowfall... I let them get on with it for 20' or so, come out of the house, start the blower & tour up and down the drive 4 times showering them all with the "blowings" and back in the house.

The two were combined last winter during a blizzard-induced power cut where our house was lit up like a proverbial Christmas tree and the neighbours were scratching around for candles :lol:

IanM said:
Where he lives, they think The Wicker Man is a documentary.

Ah, see you're confusing where I live with the positively backward Dumfries & Galloway...

Pig Cat said:
You must be bloody freezing.
No, it doesn't seem so bad yet somehow, and it's not as if I'm a particularly hardy soul. It was positively pleasant by lunchtime, shirtsleeves weather.
hunnymonster said:
...the positively backward Dumfries & Galloway...
My impression, for what it's worth, is that the Castle Douglas / Kirkcudbright sort of area isn't backward at all, but the further West you go ... Which is pretty much the situation in Yorkshire: infused safflower oil swigging sophisticates in York; streetwise in Leeds; down at heel in Bradford, and by the time you get to my neck of the woods, you're in hillbilly country.

Well with the cold today I noticed a difference in my skin for the first time. Really really tight after a shave. Maybe time to get a balm on the go.

Noticeably colder today and there was a good frost on the car this morning.

We have been away for a couple of days and I noticed that the frost had hit the leaves of some of my plants in the garden :(

hunnymonster said:
Ah, see you're confusing where I live with the positively backward Dumfries & Galloway...

I quite like D&G and that is where we had been for the last 2 days seeing the in-laws. Yesterday I drove right out to Logan Botanic Garden (fabulous place and it reminded me of some of the gardens I have seen down in the south west of England) and that is right out in the sticks!

Back
Top Bottom