Windows 8 and SSD

Taking the plunge and a stab at windows 8 trial and upgrading my Thinkpad to an SSD. Will post up some feeling when I'm done.

Anyone else on windows 8 yet? Its just cause I have a very slow XP and am too cheap to fork out for Win 7

You don't have to pay full price for windows 7 if you have a family member who is involved in education in some way either teaching or attending you can buy from here www.software4students.co.uk and save a bit of money will be where i get my win 8 upgrade from in the future...

windows 8 isnt finished yet

i don't like it at all.

people complain about games being console ports well

windows 8 on pc is a port of there version for phones

you can tell because there are options for things like airplane mode.

plus there is that metro interface where you have to scroll through for ages to find programs

Have looked at student software, nobody in my family qualifies - I was last one in education! + I've exhausted all those avenues. I may go back to linux again, I'm on a dual boot and do use it sometimes :) it just doesn't talk to my tom tom. Otherwise I may well go back to it. As for OEM I looked, still around £70 which is more than I want to pay really. We will see what win8 is like and probably revert back to ubuntu or the like

SSD is what I'm really looking forward to

I use* Ubuntu and run XP in a virtualbox for the odd occasion I have to do things like update Tomtoms. Works ok.

* actually no I don't, really. I've turned the computer in about four times in the eight months since I bought an Android tablet.

Might give that a go, trying to revitalise my alumni email to get student software... not going too well at the moment!

I have contemplated switching to an Asus transformer but need the processing grunt for my recent foray into photography and a CF reader

Transformer's exactly what I'm using. I have the keyboard dock, though I don't use it much since I'm very comfortable with Swype for text entry. Love it to bits. Now the new transformer pad's out at £400 including dock and is nearly as powerful as the Prime, it looks a great buy to me - the old transformer I have is plenty quick for everything I do!

Windows 8 is still in beta, it is worth a play around to see what it looks and feels like but it depends on what you want to use it for. Personally i would avoid it for any normal work of home use.

I have Mint on both my laptops, a desktop that I don't use and Windows XP on a really old desktop. But that was only for remote access to work from\home (Citrix Xenapp) while I was trying to get the client working with Linux. Don't find I need Windows anymore but it's not for everyone I guess. I would recommend people try it though, especially as it's free and you can run it off a CD/USB stick to see if it all works on your particular computer.

So I did look at mint briefly, the windows 8 got binned because the download kept failing so went for a trusty ubuntu. Fast as hell on the SSD and I now have a 100gb external storage drive that still has my old xp on it for if I ever want to go back.

I am at the moment :) 3 second shutdown is rather impressive. And from power button pressed I'm at around 25 seconds to zero boot activity, perhaps 30 seconds until the wifi is connected! Compared with long over a minute with XP and the 7200RPM drive.

Program load time is phenomenal too - 3 seconds to load GIMP with an image!

Back
Top Bottom